Prove Unique Limits: Pugh's Real Math Analysis Ch 3 Q#26

• Thread starter SpaceTag
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exercise
In summary: Also, the proof should use the fact that real numbers have the property that if x,y>0, there exists N such that for all n>N, x/n <y.In summary, the conversation discusses question #26 in chapter 3 of Pugh's Real Mathematical Analysis, which asks for a proof of the uniqueness of limits. The question is whether the statement is true or not, and a counterexample is provided using a set X with the transitive relation of equality and a function that has two different limits. It is suggested that the statement may be false due to the properties of the pre-order relation # and the need for a total order condition. Additionally, the proof
SpaceTag
I'm referring to question #26 in chapter 3 of Pugh's Real Mathematical Analysis.
For those without the book, here's the question:

Let X be a set with a transitive relation # (Note: #is just an abstract relation). It satisfies the condition that for all x1,x2,x3 in X, we have

x1 # x1
and
if x1 # x2 # x3 then x1 # x3.

A function f:X -> R (R is the reals) converges to a limit L with respect to X if, given any E>0, there is a y in X such that, for all x in X,
(y # x) implies |f(x) - L|< E. We write lim f = L to indicate this convergence.

Prove that limits are unique: if lim f = L1 and lim f = L2, then L1 = L2.

------------------------Ok now this seems simple enough, but I'm not sure if it's true (even though the book asks us to prove it). Is this a counterexample?

Take X to be the set of natural numbers with the transitive relation = (equality). Let f be a function from the naturals to the reals such that f(1) = 1 and f(2) = 2. Then 1 is a limit of f (take y=1) and 2 is also a limit of f (take y=2).

That would mean that lim f isn't unique. I'm just wondering where this counterexample goes wrong or if the question really is flawed.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The statement is false as written here. The relation # as defined is called a pre-order, satisfying for all x1,x2,x3 in X:

x1 # x1 (reflexive property)

( (x1 # x2) and (x2 # x3) ) implies (x1 # x3) (transitive property)

I think the statement might still be false even if we specify that the relation # is antisymmetric (which would make it a partial ordering relation instead of a pre-ordering relation):

( (x1 # x2) and (x2 # x1) ) implies (x1 = x2) (antisymmetric property)

Maybe someone else will see a mistake in the counterexample that I don't see, but otherwise it looks sound to me.

I think that for the proof you also need the condition for all x1, x2 either x1#x2 or x2#x1

1. What is the significance of Pugh's Real Math Analysis Ch 3 Q#26?

Pugh's Real Math Analysis Ch 3 Q#26 is a problem that tests the understanding of unique limits in real analysis. It is often used in mathematics courses to assess students' comprehension of this concept.

2. How do I approach solving Pugh's Real Math Analysis Ch 3 Q#26?

To solve Pugh's Real Math Analysis Ch 3 Q#26, you should first review the definition of unique limits and understand the concept. Then, carefully read the question and try to identify any given information or conditions that can help you solve the problem. Use logical reasoning and mathematical techniques to arrive at the solution.

3. What are unique limits in real analysis?

Unique limits in real analysis refer to the concept that a function can only have one limit at a particular point. This means that as the input values get closer and closer to the given point, the output values will also get closer and closer to a specific number, which is the limit.

4. What is the difference between a limit and a unique limit?

A limit refers to the value that a function approaches as its input values get closer and closer to a particular point. A unique limit, on the other hand, refers to the idea that a function can only have one limit at a given point, which is different from the concept of having multiple limits at a single point.

5. What are some real-world applications of unique limits in real analysis?

Unique limits in real analysis have practical applications in various fields, such as economics, engineering, and physics. For example, in economics, unique limits can help determine the maximum profit a company can make by analyzing the behavior of a function at a specific point. In engineering, unique limits can be used to optimize the efficiency of a system by understanding the behavior of a function at a particular point. In physics, unique limits can help predict the behavior of a moving object by analyzing its position and velocity at a specific point.