1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pull Force of a Permanent Magnet at a Certain Distance

1. May 13, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What would be the necessary magnetic field strength needed to pick up a 0.1543 lb. magnetic object 0.238 meters away? (I am trying to find a permanent magnet, not an electromagnet to accomplish this)
    (the pull force of the permanent magnet I am using is 4.7 lb)

2. Relevant equations
    faq_6.GIF
    For a circular magnet with a radius of R and Length L, the field at the centerline of the magnet a distance X from the surface can be calculated by the following formula (where Br is the Residual Induction of the material)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I chose a small neodymium magnet and found the magnetic field strength at 0.238 meters away to be 5.6587 [tex]\mu[/tex]T. The problem is that I do not know if that is enough to pick up the 0.1543 lb. object.

Perhaps there is an equation relating pull force of a permanent magnet to the distance of the object?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?