Pulley & Block Problem: Forces & Acceleration

In summary, the masses are released from the block and it starts to accelerate. The initial tension in the string is M3g.
bsmith2000
A friend of mine gave me this problem, and it was somewhat hard:

A rectangular block of mass M1 rests on a horizontal table. Masses M2 and M3 are free to slide along the surfaces of M1 and are attached by a massless string over a frictionless pulley.

For the diagram, go to: http://img451.imageshack.us/img451/7456/28142628dx2.jpg[/PLAIN]

Also, assume all surfaces are frictionless.

a) Draw free body diagrams for M1 and M2. Assume the pulley makes a 45 degree angle with the horizontal.

b) Find the external force F that should be applied to M1 so that M3 will stay at a fixed height above the table. (meaning M2 and M3 don't move relative to M1)

c) Suppose there is no external force. All masses are held fixed up until time t=0, and then they are released. Find the initial tension in the string T, and the initial acceleration a of M1 just after being released. Express the answer in terms of the masses given and g.

My thoughts so far:

For a), on M1, I drew the normal force it had with the table and the gravitational force. Do I need to draw some sort of normal force for the contact it has with M3? The M2 diagram has its normal force with M1, gravity, and the tension force to the right.

For b), I thought the force would be M3*g, because that is the tension force, so applying that force would somehow counter it? It is somewhat of a wild guess, and I am pretty sure it is incorrect, b/c that seems too easy.

For c), I don't see how how M1 would even accelerate, nor do I see how the "initial" tension would ever change after time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Whoops - sorry, I didn't know we had to place questions in a separate forum.

Anyone have any insight to this problem?

for part b, x: (M1+M2+M3)(a)=F_x. solve for a. Since you want it to remain stationary, a_y=0=T-M3g. (M2)a_x=T. So then you have the acceleration you solved for multiplied by M2 and that will equal M3g. Do algebra to get F= M3g(M3+M2+M1)/M2.

for part a, you don't have to draw a force for the contact. it is assumed that friction is negligible and won't affect it.

for part c, the tension will remain the same seeing as though the length of the string and the masses do not change. Therefore, you are correct and the "initial T" will be the same until the block reaches the ground. So, T=M2M3g/(M2+M3)

Thank you so much pgraves013! That makes so much sense!

Do you know how to find the initial acceleration of mass M1 just after the masses are released? (there is no external force during that part)

Last edited:
I think that the application of pseudo force would make it even easier.

Are you familiar with pseudo forces?

since the blocks are all connected in one way or another, i think that the acceleration of each would be the same. I am really not sure though, but i think it may be a=M3g/(M1+M2+M3). I'm not 100% sure, but i think that is correct

Hi, I need help with this similar problem and to make things short, I also found that

a = m3g/m2 from part b which states: Find the force F by ONLY using the separate free body diagrams of M2, M3, and M1+M2+M3.

so for M1+M2+m3 F=(M3g/M2)(M1+M2+M3)

but for my part c it says: Find the force F by ONLY using the separate free body diagrams of m1, m2, and m3. (The force from part b and c should agree! Make sure your answer is in terms of m1, m2, m3, and g)

And when it comes to this I found that F=(M1+M3)(M3g/M2) . . . . :(

1. What is a pulley and block problem?

A pulley and block problem is a type of physics problem that involves analyzing the forces and acceleration of a system consisting of a pulley and one or more blocks. The goal of these problems is to determine the relationship between the forces acting on the blocks and their resulting acceleration.

2. How do you calculate the forces in a pulley and block system?

To calculate the forces in a pulley and block system, you need to consider the weight of the blocks, the tension in the rope, and any external forces acting on the system. The forces can be determined using Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration.

3. What is the role of the pulley in a pulley and block problem?

The pulley in a pulley and block problem acts as a simple machine that changes the direction of the force applied to the system. It also helps to distribute the weight of the blocks evenly, making it easier to analyze the forces and acceleration.

4. What is the difference between a fixed pulley and a movable pulley?

A fixed pulley is attached to a stationary object, while a movable pulley is attached to a block that moves with the load. In a fixed pulley system, the direction of the force remains the same, while in a movable pulley system, the direction of the force changes.

5. How do you calculate the acceleration of a pulley and block system?

The acceleration of a pulley and block system can be calculated using Newton's second law of motion, F=ma, where F is the net force acting on the system, m is the total mass of the blocks, and a is the resulting acceleration. The acceleration can also be determined by considering the forces acting on each block and using the equations of motion to solve for acceleration.