Optimizing Pulley Sizes for Speed Matching

In summary, to determine the size of the pulley on the second machine, a simple ratio can be set up with the pulley's diameter and revolutions per minute. Using this method, the answer is 16.923 inches for the diameter of the pulley on the second machine.
yoleven

Homework Statement

A tractor has a belt pulley diameter of 10 inch operating at 1100 revolutions per minute. The pulley is connected by a belt to another machine that needs to operate at 650 rpm. What size should the pulley be on the second machine?

Homework Equations

2Pi*r

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know where to start. I know that a wheels circumference is 2Pi*r
The first wheel is 10 inches so
2*Pi*5 inches = 1100rpm
if the second wheel has to operate at 650
can I get it by 650/2pi=103 inches?

Physics news on Phys.org
Set up a simple ratio.

[tex] \frac {1100} {10} = \frac {650} x [/tex]

thank you

I'm still a bit unclear. Sorry.
If I set up a ratio
1100/10=650/x
I get an answer of 5.9
I need the second wheel to rotate slower but if it is smaller won't it spin faster?

I tried this again.
This seems to work.

driven pulley rpm= drive pulley rpm * drive pulley diameter/driven pulley diameter

650rpm=1100rpm*10inch/x
650x=11000
x=16.923 inch diameter for the pulley

1. How does a pulley affect rotation?

A pulley is a simple machine that is used to change the direction of a force. When a pulley is used in a rotation problem, it can either increase or decrease the amount of force needed to rotate an object, depending on the arrangement of the pulley system. In general, pulleys can make it easier to rotate an object by reducing the amount of force needed.

2. What is the difference between a fixed and a movable pulley?

A fixed pulley is attached to a stationary object and only changes the direction of the force, while a movable pulley is attached to the object being rotated and can reduce the amount of force needed to rotate the object. In other words, a fixed pulley only changes the direction of the force, while a movable pulley also acts as a force multiplier.

3. How do you calculate the mechanical advantage of a pulley system?

The mechanical advantage of a pulley system is calculated by dividing the weight of the object being lifted by the force applied to the rope. For example, if a 100-pound object is being lifted with a force of 20 pounds, the mechanical advantage would be 5 (100/20 = 5). This means that the pulley system is making it 5 times easier to lift the object.

4. Can pulleys be used to rotate objects in different directions?

Yes, pulleys can be used to rotate objects in different directions. This is because pulleys can be arranged in various configurations, such as a single pulley, a block and tackle system, or a combination of fixed and movable pulleys. These configurations can change the direction of the force applied to the object and therefore change the direction of rotation.

5. How does friction affect the rotation of a pulley?

Friction can have a significant impact on the rotation of a pulley. In some cases, friction can cause the pulley to not rotate smoothly, which can decrease the efficiency of the pulley system. It is important to minimize friction by using lubricants or choosing pulleys with low friction materials to ensure the smooth and efficient rotation of the pulley.