1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pulley Block Mass Problem

1. Oct 6, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two blocks are connected over a pulley. The mass of block A is 10 kg and the coefficient of kinetic friction between A and the incline 0.20. Angle [tex]theta[/tex] of the incline is 30 degrees. Block A slides down the incline at constant speed. What is the mass of block B?

[​IMG]

2. Relevant equations
    Fs=mgsin[tex]theta[/tex]

Sin[tex]theta[/tex]= Fs/mg

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried using substition in order to find the second mass, but that route bore no fruit.

9.8 x 10 x sin 30= 49
    Fs=49
    T- mgsin[tex]theta[/tex]=ma
    T-49=ma
    T=ma+49

-T+m(subscript 2)g= M(subscript2)a (we substitute t for ma+49)
    -(m(subscript 1)a+49)+m(subscript 2)g= M(subscript 2)a
    -msub1-49+msub2g=msub2a

all that boils down to is

(9.8m(sub2)-49)/(10+msub2)= a

How exactly am I supposed to find the second mass without knowing the acceleration?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2007 #2
    when you found the Fs that was static friction? because the block is under a constant velocity so it is actually kinetic friction.

and also you did 9.8x10xsin30 but you didn't include the frictional constant in there.

4. Oct 6, 2007 #3
    Alrighty. But even if I do include the kinetic friction, how would I find a?

5. Oct 6, 2007 #4
    well the problem states that Block A (m2) is sliding down at a constant velocity. constant velocity means what type of acceleration?

and if block A has acceleration (a) and we're assuming that the string doesn't stretch what does that say about block B's acceleration?

6. Oct 6, 2007 #5
    Constant velocity means no acceleration
    And ah, ok :)

7. Oct 6, 2007 #6
    yes also your calculation for friction was wrong it should be:

[tex]\mu_kN[/tex]

and you know N as one of the components of mg and you know the downward is mgsintheta

8. Oct 6, 2007 #7
    Right right. Thanks so much :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?