Find the Value of θ in a Pulley Blocks Problem - Homework Solution

In summary, the problem involves finding the value of θ in a figure where the string is assumed to be tight and the pulley is moving. Various attempts at solving the problem are discussed, including working in the frame of the pulley and using trigonometry to express the sides of the triangles involved. Ultimately, the solution involves writing the length of the string in terms of the velocities of the blocks and the pulley, and setting the derivative of this expression with respect to time equal to zero to solve for θ.
Tanya Sharma

Homework Statement

Q. In the figure shown, find out the value of θ [ assume string to be tight ]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If the pulley was not moving ,then we could have equated the component of velocities of the two blocks along the string .

But,since the pulley is moving,something extra needs to be done .Not sure what .

I would be grateful if somebody could help me with the problem .

Attachments

• block pulley.GIF
    block pulley.GIF
    15 KB · Views: 491
Physics news on Phys.org
Tanya Sharma said:

Homework Statement

Q. In the figure shown, find out the value of θ [ assume string to be tight ]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If the pulley was not moving ,then we could have equated the component of velocities of the two blocks along the string .

But,since the pulley is moving,something extra needs to be done .Not sure what .

I am not sure but how about working in the frame of pulley?

Pranav-Arora said:
I am not sure but how about working in the frame of pulley?

Could you elaborate what do you mean by working in the pulley frame ? What benefit does it give in the context of the problem ?

Tanya Sharma said:
Could you elaborate what do you mean by working in the pulley frame ? What benefit does it give in the context of the problem ?

I meant that if you work in the frame fixed to the pulley, the blocks have an additional component of velocity downwards. You can then equate the velocity along the string. (And that gives one of the answers mentioned.)

I analyzed this a little differently. Drop a normal from the pulley to the line joining the tops of blocks A and B. Call the length of this normal h. You then have two right triangles. Express the other sides of these two right triangles trigonometrically in terms of h (using trig functions of 30 degrees and θ). Let a small increment of time Δt pass. Express then new sides of the two triangles in terms of Δt. The sum of the hypotenuses of these new triangles must be the length of the string, which is constrained to be unchanged. So set the sum of the new hypotenuses equal the sum of the original hypotenuses. Expand each of the two hypotenuses as a linear function of Δt. Certain terms will cancel from both sides of the equation. Set the coefficient of Δt equal to zero. Solve for θ, or substitute each of the possible answers into the equation, and see which one satisfies it.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
I analyzed this a little differently. Drop a normal from the pulley to the line joining the tops of blocks A and B. Call the length of this normal h. You then have two right triangles. Express the other sides of these two right triangles trigonometrically in terms of h (using trig functions of 30 degrees and θ). Let a small increment of time Δt pass. Express then new sides of the two triangles in terms of Δt. The sum of the hypotenuses of these new triangles must be the length of the string, which is constrained to be unchanged. So set the sum of the new hypotenuses equal the sum of the original hypotenuses. Expand each of the two hypotenuses as a linear function of Δt. Certain terms will cancel from both sides of the equation. Set the coefficient of Δt equal to zero. Solve for θ, or substitute each of the possible answers into the equation, and see which one satisfies it.

Chet

Hi Chet...

Sorry for the late response .

Let h be the length of the normal ; x length of the left string and y length of the right string ; a and b be the length of the bases of left and right triangles respectively at t=0.

x=hcosecθ and y=hcosec30°
a=hsecθ and b=hsec30°

Now after time Δt ,

a' = a-3.25Δt
h' = h+Δt
b' = b+√3t

Now x+y = √(a'2+h'2) + √(b'2+h'2)

[tex]hcosecθ+hcosec30° = \sqrt{(hsecθ-3.25Δt)^2+(h+Δt)^2} + \sqrt{(hsec30°+\sqrt{3}Δt)^2+(h+Δt)^2} [/tex]

Is it correct ?

Last edited:
Tanya Sharma said:
Hi Chet...

Sorry for the late response .

Let h be the length of the normal ; x length of the left string and y length of the right string ; a and b be the length of the bases of left and right triangles respectively at t=0.

x=hcosecθ and y=hcosec30°
a=hsecθ and b=hsec30°

Now after time Δt ,

a' = a-3.25Δt
h' = h+Δt
b' = b+√3t

Now x+y = √(a'2+h'2) + √(b'2+h'2)

[tex]hcosecθ+hcosec30° = \sqrt{(hsecθ-3.25Δt)^2+(h+Δt)^2} + \sqrt{(hsec30°+\sqrt{3}Δt)^2+(h+Δt)^2} [/tex]

Is it correct ?
Ooops. Those sec's should be cots.

Chet

Tanya Sharma said:

You know the motion of everything. The blocks move horizontally, with the given velocities.
The pulley moves vertically upward with 1 m/s.

The string is tight, and it can move on the pulley. The total length is constant.

Choose the origin on the ground, just below the pulley. The positions of the blocks are A (xa,0) and B(xB,0). The pulley is at P(0,y). Write up the length of the pieces LA, LB. LA+ LB=constant. Take the derivative with respect to time. You know the derivative of dxA/dt=3.25, dXB/dt=√3, dy/dt=1. y/(-xA)=tanθ, y/xB=tan(30°)...

ehild

Likes 1 person
Chestermiller said:
Ooops. Those sec's should be cots.

Chet

Yes...poor effort on my part :redface:.

If I open the expression under the radical sign ,I get lot of terms none of which seem to cancel.

Now what to do with terms containing Δt and Δt2 ?

Chestermiller said:
Expand each of the two hypotenuses as a linear function of Δt. Certain terms will cancel from both sides of the equation. Set the coefficient of Δt equal to zero.

Sorry...I didn't quite understand this .

Tanya Sharma said:
Yes...poor effort on my part :redface:.

If I open the expression under the radical sign ,I get lot of terms none of which seem to cancel.

Now what to do with terms containing Δt and Δt2 ?

Sorry...I didn't quite understand this .
Discard the (Δt)2 terms.

[tex] \sqrt{(hcotθ-3.25Δt)^2+(h+Δt)^2}≈\sqrt{h^2(cot^2θ+1)+2hΔt(1-3.25cotθ)}≈hcscθ\sqrt{1+\frac{2hΔt(1-3.25cotθ)}{h^2csc^2θ}} [/tex]
[tex] \sqrt{(hcotθ-3.25Δt)^2+(h+Δt)^2}≈hcscθ+Δt(sinθ-3.25cosθ) [/tex]

Chet

Last edited:
Thanks ehild :smile:...Very nice and systematic way of looking at the problem.

But I seem to be struggling with sign errors :shy:. I don't get correct answer with the data you have given .Yet it looks fine to me.

ehild said:
Choose the origin on the ground, just below the pulley. The positions of the blocks are A (xa,0) and B(xB,0). The pulley is at P(0,y). Write up the length of the pieces LA, LB. LA+ LB=constant. Take the derivative with respect to time. You know the derivative of dxA/dt=3.25, dXB/dt=√3, dy/dt=1. y/(-xA)=tanθ, y/xB=tan(30°)...

ehild

If instead of treating (xa,0) and B(xB,0) as coordinates of A and B ,I look them as length (distance ) from the origin ,I get correct answer .

Then we would have

dxA/dt = -3.25, dXB/dt=√3, dy/dt=1. y/(xA)=tanθ, y/xB=tan(30°)

But I don't understand what is the problem with treating xa and xB as coordinates instead of lengths(distances).

Last edited:
I can not know if you do not show your work...

ehild

I like Pranav's approach to this problem. No calculus or expressions for the length of the string needed. In his frame of reference, the pulley has only rotational motion.

Likes 1 person
TSny said:
I like Pranav's approach to this problem. No calculus or expressions for the length of the string needed. In his frame of reference, the pulley has only rotational motion.

Yes, it is very nice...

ehild

Likes 1 person
This problem can be simplified by using Virtual-Work Method.

Likes 1 person
Please see this post in conjunction with my earlier post.

[tex]\sqrt{{x_A}^2+y^2} + \sqrt{{x_B}^2+y^2} = constant[/tex]

[tex]\frac{2x_A\frac{dx_A}{dt}+2y\frac{dy}{dt}}{2\sqrt{{x_A}^2+y^2}} + \frac{2x_B\frac{dx_B}{dt}+2y\frac{dy}{dt}}{2\sqrt{{x_B}^2+y^2}} [/tex]

[tex]\frac{\frac{dx_A}{dt}+\frac{y}{x_A}\frac{dy}{dt}}{\sqrt{1+{\frac{y}{x_A}}^2}} + \frac{\frac{dx_B}{dt}+\frac{y}{x_B}\frac{dy}{dt}}{\sqrt{1+{\frac{y}{x_B}}^2}} [/tex]

On putting in values given in post#8 we get

[tex]\frac{3.25-tanθ}{secθ} + 2 = 0 [/tex] which gives incorrect result .

Whereas if I use values in post#11 I get [itex]\frac{-3.25+tanθ}{secθ} + 2 = 0[/itex] ,which gives correct result .

Could you reflect on this .

Tanya Sharma said:
Please see this post in conjunction with my earlier post.

[tex]\sqrt{{x_A}^2+y^2} + \sqrt{{x_B}^2+y^2} = constant[/tex]

[tex]\frac{2x_A\frac{dx_A}{dt}+2y\frac{dy}{dt}}{2\sqrt{{x_A}^2+y^2}} + \frac{2x_B\frac{dx_B}{dt}+2y\frac{dy}{dt}}{2\sqrt{{x_B}^2+y^2}} [/tex]

[tex]\frac{\frac{dx_A}{dt}+\frac{y}{x_A}\frac{dy}{dt}}{\sqrt{1+{\frac{y}{x_A}}^2}} + \frac{\frac{dx_B}{dt}+\frac{y}{x_B}\frac{dy}{dt}}{\sqrt{1+{\frac{y}{x_B}}^2}} [/tex]

On putting in values given in post#8 we get

[tex]\frac{3.25-tanθ}{secθ} + 2 = 0 [/tex] which gives incorrect result .

Whereas if I use values in post#11 I get [itex]\frac{-3.25+tanθ}{secθ} + 2 = 0[/itex] ,which gives correct result .

Could you reflect on this .

I think the problem lies in assuming the coordinate of left block as (x_a,0). It should be (-x_a,0) instead, where x_a>0. Now, if you closely look at [itex] d x_a /dt [/itex] which is the rate of change of x_a, you will find that it is -ve. This is because as the left block progresses towards the origin, x_a(which was initially some +ve quantity) approaches zero which clearly shows that x_a is decreasing and a -ve sign must be placed along with 3.25. Thus the second equation is the correct one.

Likes 1 person
utkarshakash said:
I think the problem lies in assuming the coordinate of left block as (x_a,0). It should be (-x_a,0) instead, where x_a>0. Now, if you closely look at [itex] d x_a /dt [/itex] which is the rate of change of x_a, you will find that it is -ve. This is because as the left block progresses towards the origin, x_a(which was initially some +ve quantity) approaches zero which clearly shows that x_a is decreasing and a -ve sign must be placed along with 3.25. Thus the second equation is the correct one.

Your reasoning looks quite convincing . Thanks :)

You pulled out xA from the square root, which is negative. It should have been |xA|. ##\sqrt{(-2)^2}=2## and not -2.
I pulled out y and got correct result.

ehild

Last edited:
ehild said:
You pulled out xA from the square root, which is negative. It should have been |xA|.
I pulled out y and got correct result.

ehild

Excellent troubleshooting !

If you had given me one whole day , i wouldn't have found that error :tongue:

Tanya Sharma said:
Excellent troubleshooting !

If you had given me one whole day , i wouldn't have found that error :tongue:

It took me quite a long time, too. Now you will remember to to pull out only absolute value of something from the square root.:smile:

ehild

1. What is a pulley blocks problem?

A pulley blocks problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the value of θ, the angle of the string or rope attached to a pulley. The problem usually involves multiple pulleys and the use of Newton's laws of motion to determine the value of θ.

2. How do I find the value of θ in a pulley blocks problem?

To find the value of θ, you will need to use the equations of equilibrium, which state that the sum of all forces acting on an object must be equal to zero. You will also need to consider the tension forces in the strings or ropes attached to the pulleys, and use trigonometric functions to calculate the angle θ.

3. What are the common mistakes made when solving a pulley blocks problem?

Common mistakes include forgetting to consider the weight of the pulleys themselves, not taking into account the direction of the tension forces, and failing to properly label the forces acting on the system. It is important to carefully analyze the problem and draw a clear free-body diagram to avoid these mistakes.

4. Is there a specific method or strategy for solving pulley blocks problems?

Yes, there are specific steps you can follow to solve pulley blocks problems. These include drawing a free-body diagram, applying Newton's laws of motion, setting up and solving equations of equilibrium, and using trigonometric functions to find the value of θ. It is also helpful to check your solution by making sure all forces are in balance.

5. Can you provide an example of a pulley blocks problem and its solution?

Sure, here is an example: A 10 kg mass is suspended from a system of two pulleys, as shown in the diagram. The angle θ between the strings is 30 degrees. What is the tension in each string?

To solve this problem, we first draw a free-body diagram and label the forces acting on the system. We have the weight of the mass, the tension forces in each string, and the weight of the pulleys. Next, we apply Newton's second law (F=ma) to find the net force in the x and y directions. Then, we use the equations of equilibrium to set up and solve equations for the tension forces. Finally, we use trigonometric functions to find the value of θ and calculate the tension in each string. The solution is that the tension in each string is approximately 34.6 N.