Calculating Speed of Falling Mass on Pulley System

In summary, the problem involves a mass attached to a string wrapped around a fixed pulley with a moment of inertia of 0.0352kg/m2 and a radius of 12.5cm. The mass falls under the influence of gravity, causing the pulley to rotate. The speed of the mass after falling 1.25m can be calculated using the equations T-mg=ma, T=-I(a/r2), and x=(1/2)at2. By collecting terms and factoring out 'a', the speed can be expressed as a=-g/(1+I/(mr2)).
Xels

Homework Statement

A string is wrapped tightly around a fixed pulley that has a moment of inertia of 0.0352kg/m2; and a radius of 12.5cm. A mass of 423g is attached to the free end of the string. The mass is allowed to fall under the influence of gravity. As the mass falls the string causes the pulley to rotate. What is the speed of the mass after is has fallen through 1.25m?

Homework Equations

T-mg=ma
T=-I(a/r2)
x=(1/2)at2

The Attempt at a Solution

T-mg=ma
-I(a/r2)-mg=ma

a=-(g/(1+(I/mr2))) <---- this step is given by my prof; and honestly I'm not sure how he isolated 'a' here. I'd really appreciate any insights here. Rationally I understand that the statement means that net acceleration is equal to gravity divided by linear kinetic energy of the falling mass plus the kinetic energy of the pulley.

x=(1/2)at2
t=((2x)/a)(1/2)
v=|a|t
v=(2xa)(1/2)

So my questions essentially are the above where we jump from I(a/r2)-mg=ma to a=-(g/(1+(I/mr2)))
and
If my moment of inertia is given as 0.0352 kg/m2 then in (1+(I/mr2))
how do I incorporate I?

Physics news on Phys.org

Xels said:

The Attempt at a Solution

T-mg=ma
-I(a/r2)-mg=ma

Collect both terms containing 'a' at one side of the equation,

-mg=ma+Ia/r2

divide both sides with 'm'

-g=a+Ia/(mr2)

then factor out 'a'.

-g=a(1+I/(mr2))

Divide both sides of the equation by the factor
(1+I/(mr2)):

a=-g/(1+I/(mr2))

ehild

Thanks; that makes total sense.

What is a pulley?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove along its edge, and a rope or cable that runs along this groove. It is used to lift or move objects by changing the direction of the force applied.

How does a pulley work?

A pulley works by using the principle of mechanical advantage. By looping a rope or cable around a pulley, the weight of an object can be distributed over multiple strands, reducing the force needed to lift it. This makes it easier to move heavy objects.

What are the different types of pulleys?

There are three main types of pulleys: fixed, movable, and compound. Fixed pulleys have a stationary axle and can only change the direction of force. Movable pulleys have a movable axle and can increase mechanical advantage. Compound pulleys combine both fixed and movable pulleys to provide both direction change and increased mechanical advantage.

What are some common uses of pulleys?

Pulleys are used in a variety of applications, such as elevators, cranes, and construction equipment. They are also commonly used in exercise equipment, window blinds, and sailing rigs. In everyday life, pulleys can be found in flagpoles, clotheslines, and even certain types of door handles.

How can I calculate the mechanical advantage of a pulley?

To calculate the mechanical advantage of a pulley, you need to know the number of strands supporting the load and the number of strands attached to the effort force. The mechanical advantage is then calculated by dividing the number of supporting strands by the number of effort strands. For example, if a pulley has four supporting strands and one effort strand, its mechanical advantage would be 4:1.