Pulley and Mass: How to Calculate Velocity?

In summary, a linear function of the radius and the distance between the pulleys is determined, and it can be used to solve for the position of C.
the_dialogue

Homework Statement

See attached image.

I'm wondering how one would express the velocity of C with respect to the angular velocity of the pulleys and the radii.

Homework Equations

v=w*r

The Attempt at a Solution

I've never quite done double pulleys such as these. Usually, If i had a single object attached, using one cable, to the edge of a pulley, its velocity would be 'v=wr' where 'r' is the radii of the pulley where the cable lies. But how about this case?

PS. This is not an assignment. It's merely a question I came across reading my book.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    9.9 KB · Views: 394
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: As the double pulley turns, the cable unwinds from each pulley at the same speed as the tangential speed of the rim. Hint2: If the cable is lengthens by a amount L, how far does the lower pulley drop?

Tell me if this is right:
If the right cable unwinds at v=w*r_b and the left cable at v=w*r_a, then c moves at v = w*r_b - w*r_a

the_dialogue said:
If the right cable unwinds at v=w*r_b and the left cable at v=w*r_a, then c moves at v = w*r_b - w*r_a
What if r_a = r_b? Would your answer make sense then?

Indeed it would not.

In that case I'm stuck!

Anyone?
------

the_dialogue said:

I think you should consider that v is a linear function of r_a and r_b, so v = u1.r_a + u2.r_b. Now, consider first r_a = 0 which allows you to determine the coefficient u2. Next, put r_b = 0, which allows you to find u1. This should give you the overall expression ; check it for a specific case...

I recommend that you play around with a piece of string until you figure it out. If you don't have a pulley handy, wrap the string around a tin can and unwind it. This will help you visual what's going on and figure out how the lengthening of the string relates to the turning of the pulley. Treat the double pulley as two single pulleys of different radii (since that's what they are!).

You can also use this method to figure out how the position of C depends on the length of hanging chain. If the string lengthens by 4 inches, how far does C fall?

Review the hints I gave in post #2.

1. What is a pulley and how does it work?

A pulley is a simple machine that is used to change the direction of a force. It consists of a wheel with a groove along its edge and a rope or cable that runs along the groove. By pulling on one end of the rope, the object attached to the other end can be lifted or moved.

2. How does adding mass to a pulley system affect its functionality?

Adding mass to a pulley system can affect its functionality in several ways. It can increase the amount of force needed to lift an object, as more mass means more weight that needs to be lifted. It can also affect the speed at which the object is lifted, as the added mass creates more inertia. Additionally, adding too much mass to a pulley system can cause it to become unbalanced or overloaded, which can lead to malfunction or failure.

3. What are some common misconceptions about pulleys and mass?

One common misconception is that adding more pulleys will always make it easier to lift an object. While adding more pulleys can reduce the amount of force needed to lift an object, it also increases the distance the rope needs to be pulled, resulting in more work being done overall. Another misconception is that mass is the only factor that affects the functionality of a pulley system. Other factors, such as friction and the design of the pulley, also play a role.

4. How is the mechanical advantage of a pulley system calculated?

The mechanical advantage of a pulley system is calculated by dividing the output force (the force used to lift the object) by the input force (the force needed to pull the rope). For example, if an object weighs 100 pounds and it requires 50 pounds of force to lift it, the mechanical advantage would be 100/50 = 2. This means that the pulley system reduces the force needed to lift the object by a factor of 2.

5. How can pulleys and mass be applied in real-world situations?

Pulleys and mass are used in many real-world situations, from simple tasks like lifting heavy objects to more complex systems like elevators and cranes. They are also used in transportation systems, such as bicycles and cars, to help move and control the movement of large masses. In industrial settings, pulleys and mass are used in conveyor belts and assembly lines to efficiently move and manipulate objects. Additionally, pulleys and mass are used in scientific experiments and research to study the effects of gravity and force.