Analyzing Tensions in a Pulley System: Understanding Mechanical Advantage

In summary, the upper right pulley wire loads will be split in two equally. Therefore, the sum of the loads above pulley equal T1+T2?.
E2dad
Homework Statement
How will the tensions/load be distributed between each wire section (4 sections)?
Relevant Equations
Not sure
I asume the upper right pulley wire loads will be split in two equally. Therefore, the sum of the loads above pulley equal T1+T2?.

To me it appears as if the setup is almost like a 2 to 1 ratio. However, the wires on the left side which are anchored, split the load of the other half of the 2 to 1 (half of half).

Therefore, top right pulley (T1+T2 = 50lbs)? T3=25lbs? T4=25lbs?

How would I see this mathematically solved using vector notation?

Note that the bottom pulleys are bonded together.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190917-220651_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20190917-220651_Samsung Notes.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 142
Physics news on Phys.org
Your help would be appreciated. I am so confused.

E2dad said:
Homework Statement: How will the tensions/load be distributed between each wire section (4 sections)?
Homework Equations: Not sure

I asume the upper right pulley wire loads will be split in two equally. Therefore, the sum of the loads above pulley equal T1+T2?.

To me it appears as if the setup is almost like a 2 to 1 ratio. However, the wires on the left side which are anchored, split the load of the other half of the 2 to 1 (half of half).

Therefore, top right pulley (T1+T2 = 50lbs)? T3=25lbs? T4=25lbs?

How would I see this mathematically solved using vector notation?

Note that the bottom pulleys are bonded together.
Suppose that, e.g., T2 and T3 are not equal. What would happen to the middle pulley?

haruspex said:
Suppose that, e.g., T2 and T3 are not equal. What would happen to the middle pulley?

Great question. Not sure.

E2dad said:
Great question. Not sure.
What happens when you apply opposing but unequal torques to an object that is free to rotate?

haruspex said:
What happens when you apply opposing but unequal torques to an object that is free to rotate?

In this case that should not happen. All "legs" are anchored with a dedicated load not in motion (static).

E2dad said:
In this case that should not happen. All "legs" are anchored with a dedicated load not in motion (static).
That's not what I asked.
Forget the current problem for a moment. If a rope goes around a pulley (which is free to rotate) and the tensions are different in the two sections of rope, what will happen? Think about torque.

haruspex said:
That's not what I asked.
Forget the current problem for a moment. If a rope goes around a pulley (which is free to rotate) and the tensions are different in the two sections of rope, what will happen? Think about torque.

I believe the pulley shall torque or "rotate" freely towards the leg/section that has the highest tension?

E2dad said:
I believe the pulley shall torque or "rotate" freely towards the leg/section that has the highest tension?
So what does that tell you about the tensions in your diagram?

haruspex said:
So what does that tell you about the tensions in your diagram?

Because of pulley torque:

T1 tension pointing up
T2 tension pointing down
T3 tension pointing up
T4 tension pointing up

?

T1 tension pointing up
T2 tension pointing down
T3 tension pointing up
T4 tension pointing up

?

E2dad said:

T1 tension pointing up
T2 tension pointing down
T3 tension pointing up
T4 tension pointing up

?
Not what I meant.
Take T2 and T3 for example. As you stated, if they are not equal then the pulley they both connect to will rotate. Does it?

haruspex said:
Not what I meant.
Take T2 and T3 for example. As you stated, if they are not equal then the pulley they both connect to will rotate. Does it?
In this case I believe NO. However, if there was slack YES until it stops or becomes static. The pulley torques I would imagine remains.

E2dad said:
if there was slack YES until it stops or becomes static.
You can safely assume it is now static.
So what can you say about T2 and T3?

haruspex said:
You can safely assume it is now static.
So what can you say about T2 and T3?
T2 and T3 equal each other?

E2dad said:
T2 and T3 equal each other?
Right.
What about all the other tensions?

haruspex said:
Right.
What about all the other tensions?
All tensions are equal. Each leg is a 1/4 of 100LB load?

E2dad said:
All tensions are equal. Each leg is a 1/4 of 100LB load?
Yes..

What is a pulley mechanical advantage?

A pulley mechanical advantage is a measure of how much a pulley system multiplies the force applied to it. It is calculated by dividing the load force by the effort force.

How does a pulley system work?

A pulley system consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope or belt that runs through the groove. When force is applied to one end of the rope, the other end moves in the opposite direction, allowing for the movement of heavy objects with less force.

What are the types of pulleys?

There are three main types of pulleys: fixed, movable, and compound. A fixed pulley is attached to a stationary surface, a movable pulley is attached to the object being moved, and a compound pulley is a combination of fixed and movable pulleys.

What is the ideal mechanical advantage of a pulley system?

The ideal mechanical advantage of a pulley system is equal to the number of ropes supporting the load. For example, a pulley system with two ropes supporting the load would have an ideal mechanical advantage of 2.

What factors can affect the mechanical advantage of a pulley system?

The mechanical advantage of a pulley system can be affected by the number of ropes supporting the load, the direction of force applied, and the friction in the pulley system. Using a pulley with a larger diameter can also increase the mechanical advantage.