Solve Pulley on a Slope Homework: Mass of Counterweight in kg

In summary, the question asks for the mass of the counterweight needed to lower Peter vertically in a stage production of Peter Pan. Using the equations for distance and force, the acceleration of Peter was calculated to be 1.322 m/s². The force of Peter as he falls was found to be 79.338 N. Using this force and the weight of Peter, the weight of the counterweight was determined to be 51.91 kg.
Jayce

Homework Statement

In a stage production of Peter Pan, the 60 kg actress playing Peter has to fly in vertically, and to be in time with the music, she must be lowered, starting from rest, a distance of 3.2 m in 2.2 s. Backstage, a smooth surface sloped at 59º supports a counterweight of mass m.

What is the mass of the counterweight that must be used? The pulley is of negligible mass and is frictionless. The acceleration of gravity is 9.81 m/s². Answer in units of kg.

Homework Equations

d = vit + ½at²
acceleration = g*sin(Θ)
Mass = Force/Acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution

d = vit + ½at²
3.2 = ½a(2.2)²
a = 1.322
Using the distance equation and solving for acceleration, the acceleration of Peter would be 1.322 m/s²

F = mass x acceleration
F = 60 kg x 1.322
F = 79.338 N
This is the force of Peter as he falls.

acceleration of weight m = 9.81*sin(59)
= 8.408 m/s²

Mass of m = Force/Acceleration
= 79.338 N / 8.408 m/s²
= 9.435 kg

My final answer was very much incorrect. Is there another formula I was supposed to use?

Physics news on Phys.org
From what I understand the questions wants a counter mass m that is required to lower peter under the condtions.

EDIT: If i understood it correctly, I worked it out and got an answer of 51.91kg.

If this is the correct answer then I will walk you through my solution.
thanks.

Last edited:
pooface said:
From what I understand the questions wants a counter mass m that is required to lower peter under the condtions.

Yes. I do believe that is what the problem in asking. I found the mass of the counterweight to be about 9kg. That's too small a weight to work, however.

EDIT: I checked the answers and 51.91 kg is the correct answer. =)

Last edited:
How did you arrive at your solution?

Ok. So peter is going vertically down so let us convert his mass to weight by gravity which is equal to 9.81*60kg=588.6 N

You figured out the acceleration of the entire network to be 1.322 m/s^2.

From this acceleration that we need for the network to work, we need peters force downwards which you calculated to be 79.333 N.

This is the force that will be pulling peter down and pulling the mass m up the slope.

If peter's force down is 79.33 N with the desired acceleration, this value will be the NET force required for there to be an acceleration of 1.322 m/s^2.

So weight of peter due to gravity(588.6N) - weight of mass due to gravity = 79.33. (subtract because they are pulling opposite ways)
You know peters weight from step 1 and voila you have the weight of the mass m. divide by 9.81 and you have the mass m.

Do you understand?

Last edited:
Yes, I understand it now. Thank you very much!

What is a pulley on a slope?

A pulley on a slope is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove and a rope or cable wrapped around it. It is used to lift or lower objects by changing the direction of the force needed to move the object.

What is the purpose of solving for the mass of the counterweight in kg?

The mass of the counterweight in kg is an important factor in determining the mechanical advantage of the pulley system. It is also necessary for calculating the amount of force needed to lift an object on a slope.

How is the mass of the counterweight in kg calculated?

The mass of the counterweight in kg can be calculated by using the formula: mass = (weight of object * distance) / (length of rope * acceleration due to gravity). This formula takes into account the weight of the object to be lifted, the distance it needs to be lifted, and the length of the rope used in the pulley system.

What are some common mistakes when solving for the mass of the counterweight in kg?

One common mistake is forgetting to convert all units to the same system of measurement. Another mistake is using the wrong formula or not accounting for all the variables in the formula. It is important to double check all calculations and units to ensure accuracy.

How does the angle of the slope affect the mass of the counterweight in kg?

The angle of the slope has a direct impact on the mass of the counterweight in kg. The steeper the slope, the more weight is needed on the counterweight to balance out the force of gravity. As the angle decreases, the mass of the counterweight can also decrease. This relationship should be taken into consideration when solving for the mass of the counterweight in kg.