1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pulley problem

1. Jun 15, 2009 #1
    Hello:

I've attached a drawing of the problem (pretend that the circular things are pulleys, and the strings are straight). A person of mass M stands on a platform of mass m and pulls himself up by 2 ropes which hang over pulleys, as in the attachment. he pulls each rope with force F and accelerates upward with uniform acceleration a. Find a.

So I think we can say that the length of the strings over these pulleys can be

let D = distance between the pulleys
    let R = radius of pulleys

X + D + 2piR + Z + X + D + 2piR + Y = L, where L, R, D are constant.
    I think Z = (X - h), where h = the length of ceiling to pulley. So if we take the second derivative we have: 2*d2X/dt2 + d2Z/dt2 + d2Y/dt2 = 0. I am not sure if that's correct ... and not sure what to do after that? I think that the force is the same for both sides. How do I find the relationship between the acceleration of Z and Y? Would they be the same since the pulleys are massless and if they weren't the same the platform wouldn't be level? Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Seems like a long way around the barn, when all you have to do is note that the system (M + m), if it is accelerating upward, will be (M + m)*(a + g) won't it?

If the Force is being applied by 2 ropes, then each rope carries F/2.

If the person's feet are not tied to the platform, it will however be a little difficult to generate this, since how can he pull harder than M*g on both ropes? If the platform m is heavier than he is, M, won't he just fly up as he holds the ropes?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook