Solving the Puzzle: Calculating Acceleration of Blocks

In summary, acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time and can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. Its unit is meters per second squared (m/s^2) and it can be either positive (when velocity is increasing) or negative (when velocity is decreasing). Acceleration is directly related to force, with a greater force resulting in a greater acceleration and vice versa.
anigeo

Homework Statement

in the given diagram all the stings and pulley are mass-less ad there is no friction calculate the magnitude of acceleration of the two blocks?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

the acceleration of the blocks is obtained by me to be g/20 but the answer is g/10.my attempt at the problem is given on the other image. i have vied hard for it , so please help me.

Attachments

• GB0751.jpg
    GB0751.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 357
  • GB0752.jpg
    GB0752.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 349
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
g/10 is the correct answer. You must have done something wrong, but we can not help unless you show your work. ehild

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How do you calculate acceleration?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What is the unit of acceleration?

The unit of acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s^2). This unit represents the change in velocity per second.

4. What is the difference between positive and negative acceleration?

Positive acceleration occurs when an object's velocity is increasing, while negative acceleration (also known as deceleration) occurs when an object's velocity is decreasing. An object with a constant velocity has an acceleration of 0.

5. How is acceleration related to force?

Acceleration is directly proportional to force, as described by Newton's Second Law of Motion. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be. Similarly, the smaller the force, the smaller the acceleration.