Solve Pulley Problem: Frustrated After Weeks of Trying

• Thread starter FredericChopin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pulley
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the acceleration of workers on a platform being pulled by a rope. The solution involves treating the workers and platform as a single system and considering external forces, including the tension force from the rope and the weight force of the workers and platform. The final solution takes into account Newton's Third Law and results in an acceleration formula of (4*f - (m + m + 0.5*m)*g)/(m + m + 0.5*m) or ##\frac {8f}{5m}-g##.
FredericChopin

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/SE50jeP

Homework Equations

Fnet = m*a
FG = m*g

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm so confused about this problem and I still can't solve it after weeks.

The initial distance of the workers is irrelevant. If I treat the workers and the platform as a single system, then I don't have to worry about normal forces because they are internal forces. On my force body diagram, I have the tension force on the workers and platform due to the rope, f (two of them), and the weight force of the workers and the platform (together) as the external forces acting on the system:

(m + m + 0.5*m)*a = 2*f - (m + m + 0.5*m)*g

So the acceleration of the workers and the platform should be:

a = (2*f - (m + m + 0.5*m)*g)/(m + m + 0.5*m)

But the question doesn't allow you to enter "g", which suggests that the workers and the platform's weight is irrelevant. I don't understand why though. And what am I doing wrong? This is so frustrating. I have been trying to figure this problem out for weeks.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with you that g must feature in the answer, much as you have it, but you are missing something in the total external forces.
If you were to slice right across the diagram just above the workers' heads, what forces would you remove from the workers+platform system?

haruspex said:
I agree with you that g must feature in the answer, much as you have it, but you are missing something in the total external forces.
If you were to slice right across the diagram just above the workers' heads, what forces would you remove from the workers+platform system?

Since the workers are pulling with a force f on the rope, then due to Newton's Third Law, the rope would exert a force f on the workers in the opposite direction, so I am missing another 2 f forces, right?

So the acceleration should be:

a = (4*f - (m + m + 0.5*m)*g)/(m + m + 0.5*m)

FredericChopin said:
Since the workers are pulling with a force f on the rope, then due to Newton's Third Law, the rope would exert a force f on the workers in the opposite direction, so I am missing another 2 f forces, right?

So the acceleration should be:

a = (4*f - (m + m + 0.5*m)*g)/(m + m + 0.5*m)
Yes, or more simply ##\frac {8f}{5m}-g##

haruspex said:
Yes, or more simply ##\frac {8f}{5m}-g##

Thank you.

1. What is a pulley problem?

A pulley problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the motion and forces involved in a system of pulleys. Pulleys are simple machines that use ropes or cables and a wheel to change the direction of a force and/or multiply the amount of force applied. These problems often involve determining the tensions, accelerations, and velocities of the objects connected to the pulleys.

2. Why are pulley problems difficult to solve?

Pulley problems can be difficult because they require a good understanding of both Newton's laws of motion and the principles of pulleys. They also often involve multiple objects and forces, making the calculations more complex. Additionally, pulley problems can be frustrating because the solution may not be immediately obvious and may require trial and error.

3. How can I approach solving a pulley problem?

One approach to solving a pulley problem is to first draw a diagram of the system, labeling all known and unknown variables. Then, use Newton's laws of motion and the principles of pulleys to set up equations for each object in the system. Finally, use algebraic manipulation to solve for the unknown variables.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving pulley problems?

One common mistake when solving pulley problems is forgetting to consider the mass of the pulleys themselves. Another mistake is not properly accounting for the direction and sign of forces and accelerations. It's also important to double check your calculations and equations to avoid simple arithmetic errors.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving pulley problems?

Practice is key when it comes to improving your skills in solving pulley problems. Start with simple problems and gradually increase the difficulty. It can also be helpful to work with a study group or seek out online resources and tutorials for additional guidance. As you solve more problems, you will become more familiar with the principles and techniques involved, making it easier to approach and solve pulley problems in the future.