Pulley Motion Analysis: Determining Tension in a String

In summary, the conversation is discussing a question that asks to find the tension in a string, represented by the variables m and g. The question clarifies that m and g may not have to be solved for, and the speakers express relief and gratitude for this information.
_Mayday_
Hey, I will post the actual question later. First of all I would like to just make sure I have interpreted the question correctly.

The Question

(a) By considering the motion of A, find, in terms of m and g, the tension in the string.

What is it actually asking me here? In terms of, does that mean find a value for m and g or what?

Thank you
_Mayday_

Physics news on Phys.org
It is looking for the tension. m and g, will appear as variables, in the expression for Tension.

I'm sorry I don't understand that. Does that mean that m and g could be unknown?

_Mayday_ said:
I'm sorry I don't understand that. Does that mean that m and g could be unknown?

Yes, it just means leave m and g in as terms in the tension; you don't need to bother working out what they are.

That is great news! That means I haven't gone wrong yet. I'll post the question here in a bit if I get stuck. Thanks to you both! :smile:

What is a pulley?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference. It is used to change the direction of a force, typically to lift or lower objects.

How does a pulley work?

A pulley works by using a rope or cable that is wrapped around the wheel. When one end of the rope is pulled, the wheel turns and the other end of the rope moves in the opposite direction, allowing for the transfer of force.

What are the different types of pulleys?

There are three main types of pulleys: fixed, movable, and compound. A fixed pulley is attached to a stationary object and only changes the direction of the force. A movable pulley is attached to the object being moved and both changes the direction and reduces the amount of force needed. A compound pulley combines multiple fixed and movable pulleys to increase the mechanical advantage.

Why are pulleys useful?

Pulleys are useful because they allow us to lift or lower heavy objects with less force. They also allow us to change the direction of a force, which is important in many machines and systems.

What is mechanical advantage in relation to pulleys?

Mechanical advantage is the ratio of output force to input force in a machine. In pulleys, mechanical advantage is increased by using fixed or compound pulleys, which spread the force over a larger distance, making it easier to lift heavy objects.