1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pulley Question (Translation)

1. May 19, 2008 #1
    Hey, I will post the actual question later. First of all I would like to just make sure I have interpreted the question correctly.

The Question

(a) By considering the motion of A, find, in terms of m and g, the tension in the string.

What is it actually asking me here? In terms of, does that mean find a value for m and g or what?

Thank you
  2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is looking for the tension. m and g, will appear as variables, in the expression for Tension.
  4. May 19, 2008 #3
    I'm sorry I don't understand that. Does that mean that m and g could be unknown?
  5. May 19, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, it just means leave m and g in as terms in the tension; you don't need to bother working out what they are.
  6. May 19, 2008 #5
    That is great news! That means I haven't gone wrong yet. I'll post the question here in a bit if I get stuck. Thanks to you both! :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?