1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pulley question

1. Nov 1, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[​IMG]

2. Relevant equations

sum of forces

3. The attempt at a solution

So I tried summing the forces in the x-direction where

m*a (block a) = -Ff + T = m(block a)*g*u + m*a(block b) + m*g(block b)

where u is the coefficient of friction, T is the tension in the rope and Ff is the frictional force.

I'm not, however, getting an answer on the multi choice list. Is there something I'm missing?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2007 #2
  4. Nov 1, 2007 #3

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You've got to look at each block separately when doing these problems. This is essential. Draw a free body diagram for each. Identify the forces acting on each block and use newton 2. You'll have 2 equations with 2 unknowns that you can solve. Note that the magnitudes of the tension and acceleration for each block are the same.

5. Nov 1, 2007 #4
    well i've been doing that but i cant seem to get the right answer.... i was wondering if maybe i was screwing something up with the directions...

so far ive come to the following;

for block A;

Fx = T - Uk*N = mA*ax
    Fy = N - mA*g = 0

So essentially, Fx = T - Uk*mA*g = mA*ax

For block C;

Fy = T - mC*g = mC*ay

I understand ay = ax but i cant seem to get the right answer... i'm getting something around 1.6 :(

6. Nov 2, 2007 #5

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Oh, good, you are on track; only error you made was for block C, since it accelerates down, its weight must be greater than T, so your plus/minus signs are incorrect. It should be mCg - T = mC*ay. Do you see why?

7. Nov 2, 2007 #6
    ahhh yeah of course. and since the tension is obviously greater in block A the signs are opposite to block C. thanks :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?