1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pulley Question

1. Feb 19, 2008 #1
    The weights of the objects are 200 N and 300 N. The pulleys are essentially frictionless and massless. P1 has a stationary axle but P2 is free to move up and down. Find the tensions FT1 and FT2 and the acceleration of each body.

Diagram I made in paint attached.

Now my problem is not that I can't get the right answer but that I don't understand why. It gives me a hint that the acceleration of block B is half (and in the opposite direction of course) that of block A and I cannot not figure out why that is. Can anyone explain it to me?

And yes, the diagram sucks but the A block is moving down, B is moving up.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You can prove mathematically that the magnitude of the acceleration of A is twice that of B using the fact that the string length remains constant. Divide the string into three pieces: X (from mass A to P1), Y (from P1 to P2), Y (from P2 to the spot of rope at the height of P1). Thus the length of the rope is X + 2Y. Since the length can't change, take the derivative twice to find the acceleration constraint: a_x + 2a_y = 0. Make sense? (a_x is the acceleration of mass A; a_y is the acceleration of mass B)

But even better than proving it is to just play around with a piece of string and see how folding the string in half affects things.

4. Feb 19, 2008 #3
    Thank you very much! That's a neat calculus proof.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?