Solving Pulley System Dynamics: Acceleration & Tension

In summary, we have discussed the calculation for the acceleration and tension in a system with two masses attached to a massless, frictionless pulley. We also discussed how changing the surface and the hanging mass affects the acceleration and tension in the system.
chukie
Two masses are attached to a massless, frictionless pulley as shown. (image is attached)

A) Find the acceleration of the two masses and the tension of the rope connecting them.
B) Now the top surface is replaced with one which has a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.2. FInd the acceleration of the two masses and the tension in the rope.
C) Finally, the hanging mass is replaced with a downward force of 25 N. Find the acceleration of the remaining block.

My Work:
A) a= Fnet/m
a=(2.5*9.80)/(10+2.5)
a=1.96 m/s^2

I am pretty sure my acceleration is right, but I'm not sure about my number for the tension of the rope connecting them:
T=(2.5*9.8)-(2.5*1.96)
T=19.6 N

As for B and C, I'm not sure if I did it right.
B) a= Fnet/m
a=(2.5*9.80-0.2*10*9.8)/(10+2.5)
a=0.392 m/s^2

T=(10*0.392)+(0.2*10*9.8)/10
T= 9.065N

C) a=Fnet/m
a= (25-(0.2*10*9.8))/10
a= 0.54

Could someone help me please? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• pulley.bmp
    152.4 KB · Views: 517
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! It looks like you have the right idea for finding the acceleration in part A. Your calculation for the tension of the rope is also correct. However, for part B, you should use the total mass of the system (12.5 kg) in your calculation for the acceleration. Also, remember that the friction force will act in the opposite direction of the motion, so you should subtract it from the net force. Your final answer for the tension of the rope is correct.

For part C, the downward force of 25 N will act on the remaining block and change the net force acting on it. Your calculation for the acceleration is correct, but remember that the force of friction will also be present in this scenario and will affect the acceleration of the block. So, you will need to consider the friction force in your calculation for the net force. I hope this helps!

Your calculations for the acceleration and tension in part A are correct. For part B, your calculation for the acceleration is also correct. However, for the tension, you need to use the new mass of 10 kg instead of 2.5 kg. So the correct calculation would be:

T = (10*0.392) + (0.2*10*9.8)/10
T = 4.92 + 1.96
T = 6.88 N

For part C, your calculation for the acceleration is correct. However, since the hanging mass is replaced with a downward force of 25 N, the tension in the rope will also change. The correct calculation for the tension would be:

T = 25 + (0.2*10*9.8)/10
T = 25 + 1.96
T = 26.96 N

I hope this helps clarify your calculations. Keep up the good work!

1. What is a pulley system?

A pulley system is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope or belt that runs along the groove. It is used to lift or move objects by applying force to one end of the rope while the object is attached to the other end.

2. How do you calculate the acceleration of a pulley system?

The acceleration of a pulley system can be calculated by using the formula A = (F - T)/m, where A is the acceleration, F is the applied force, T is the tension in the rope, and m is the mass being lifted or moved.

3. What is the relationship between tension and acceleration in a pulley system?

In a pulley system, the tension in the rope is directly related to the acceleration of the object being moved. As the acceleration increases, the tension in the rope also increases.

4. Can the number of pulleys affect the tension and acceleration in a pulley system?

Yes, the number of pulleys in a system can affect the tension and acceleration. Adding more pulleys can decrease the tension in the rope, but it does not affect the acceleration. However, using multiple pulleys can make lifting heavier objects easier by spreading the weight across multiple ropes.

5. Are there any real-life applications of pulley systems?

Pulley systems are used in various real-life applications, such as elevators, cranes, and weightlifting machines. They are also used in everyday objects like blinds, window shades, and flagpoles. Pulley systems are also commonly used in sailing and rock climbing to hoist sails and ropes, respectively.