1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pulley Question

1. Jun 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Mass m1= (25.70 kg) is on a horizontal surface, connected to mass m2= (5.90 kg) by a light string as shown. The pulley has negligible mass and no friction.
    A force of 241.7 N acts on m1 at an angle of 33.30 degrees. The coeficient of kinetic friction between m1 and the surface is 0.237. Determine the upward acceleration of m2.

a picture of the problem and a partial explanation is given here: http://images.google.com/imgres?img...&sa=N&start=36&um=1&ei=TE8wSruPLaXYswO43JzWAw

2. Relevant equations
    How do I find the acceleration?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found the horizontal component of the force pulling the masses. I know F=ma and that F(friction)=mu*normal force. But how do I use that? etc.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

The acceleration of m2 = ( T - m2g)/m2.
    Frictional force = μ( Fsinθ + m1g )
    Applied force = Fcosθ - T
    Find the net force and acceleration of m1.
    Equate it with m2 and find T. Substitute it in one of the equation to get acceleration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook