1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pulley + ramp problem

1. Mar 24, 2014 #1
    Problem:
    Block A is suspended from a vertical string. The string passes over a pulley and is attached to block B. The mass of block B is 1.8 kg. The mass of block C is 0.75 kg. If the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.100 between block B and the ramp and the coefficient of static friction between block B and C is 0.900, determine the maximum mass of block A, such that block C does not slip off.

nm15hg.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    f = ma

3. The attempt at a solution

I drew a FBD for block C and was able to calculate its force of friction which is: 5.61 N (μmgcosθ)

I also found out that the force of gravity for Block B is (M)(G)(COSθ). But I don't know what the force of Block C on B would be. If I could find that, I will be able to find the Force of Normal for Block B and solve for the force of friction for block B as well.

After that, I am not too sure what I must do next. I am thinking of solving for acceleration but not too sure if that will help.

Any help or any push in the right direction would be very helpful.

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Ashi, and welcome to PF.
    Your ##\mu\, mg\,\cos\theta## is the maximum force block B can exercise on block C without block C slipping, right ?

Can you calculate the friction force block B exercises on block C in the case that block A is so light that block C and B do not move ?

4. Mar 24, 2014 #3
    Thank you BvU!

Okay I think I got it but I am not too sure:

I made a mistake on the Force of friction between block B and C. It should have been (mgμcosθ)/m where m is the mass of block c.

So force of friction must be greater than acceleration for block c to slip off.

Therefore: a = fnet/total mass = force of friction of block c

force of friction of block c = 7.48 N

total mass = M + 2.55

fnet = Mg - (2.55)(g)(0.1)(cos32) - (2.55)(g)(sin32)

acceleration = [Mg - (2.55)(g)(0.1)(cos32) - (2.55)(g)(sin32)] / [M + 255]

[Mg - (2.55)(g)(0.1)(cos32) - (2.55)(g)(sin32)] / [M + 255] = 7.48

M = 14.0KG

I believe that is the right answer but I am not 100% sure. Can someone please check my work and let me know if they believe my answer is correct.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  5. Mar 25, 2014 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No: ##\mu\, g\,\cos\theta## has the dimension m/s^2, an acceleration. So it cannot be a force.

You mean smaller ?

An acceleration can not be a force.

Where does the 7.48 come from ? Before, you had 5.616 as the maximum force of friction, right ? (I did ask rather explicitly).
    However, with ##\mu\, g\,\cos\theta = ## 7.49 m/s2 (not a force, but an acceleration) you do have a value for the maximum acceleration of block C (and it is NOT this 7.49 m/s2! (*)). And thereby a value for the maximum acceleration of all three of A, B and C.

An earlier small mistake I need to point out:
    No: just mg.

So back to the drawing board: free body diagrams for C and for B !

(*) Can you calculate the friction force block B exercises on block C in the case that block A is so light that block C and B do not move ? (Didn' t I ask for that already?)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted