How Can You Calculate Acceleration in a Two-Weight Pulley System?

In summary, the conversation discusses a project involving a two-weight pulley system and the process of determining the acceleration of gravity using the pulley. The speaker sets up five test configurations at different heights and records the time it takes for the washers to hit the floor. However, when using an equation to find the "slowed down" acceleration, the recorded values do not match up. The speaker is seeking help to find the correct acceleration value using the recorded times and heights.
MattF
Hi, I'm working on a project involving a two-weight pulley system. The idea is to take two washers of slightly different masses and devise a method of determining a numerical value for the acceleration of gravity using the pulley. Basically the pulley slows down the effect of gravity, and I need to find that new acceleration.

mass one = 13.92 g = 0.01392 kg
mass two = 16.31 g = 0.01631 kg

I set up five test configurations at different heights, so I have five heights total. Then I released the washers and recorded the time it took to hit the floor with a friend (so three sets of two values). Then I averaged them. So, at this point I have five different hieghts, each with an average time it took to hit the floor. Here are three of them:

height one = 1.02 m
time = 1.78 s

height two = 1.115 m
time = 1.728 s

height three = 12.22 m
time = 1.843

Now, here is where I'm starting to have doubts. This is an equation I used to find the "slowed down" acceleration.

gravity * (mass one - mass two) = (mass one + mass two) * acceleration

This equation doesn't need the time, and I'm REALLY starting to wonder. Using this equation I get an acceleration value of 0.7756 m/s^2. To verify this, I take the first height of 1.02 m and use this derived equation:

t^2 = (2*height)/acceleration (from h= 1/2at^2)

Take the square root and you get a value of 1.62 seconds. Height two, I get 1.70 seconds, height three 1.78 seconds. What's wrong here? Those are NOT the recorded values I have!

Another verification is h=1/2at^2

For the first time (my recorded value and a=0.7756), h = 1.23 m. What is wrong HERE too?

Basically I am VERY confused. Can someone PLEASE help me out? I need the acceleration of the system using my recorded times and heights. Any help is very much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Just to add a comment here, the pulley system is the two weights on your basic pulley, friction and string weight negligible. Thanks!

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your project and asking for help. It seems like you have put a lot of effort into setting up your experiment and collecting data.

Based on the information you provided, I believe there may be a few issues with your approach and calculations. Firstly, the equation you used to find the "slowed down" acceleration is incorrect. It should be:

(mass one - mass two) * gravity = (mass one + mass two) * acceleration

This equation is derived from Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In your case, the net force is the difference between the weights of the two masses, and the acceleration is the acceleration of the system.

Secondly, the equation h=1/2at^2 is only valid for objects in free fall, where there is no air resistance. In your experiment, there will be some air resistance acting on the washers, which will affect their acceleration and the time it takes for them to hit the ground. This is why your calculated values for time and height do not match your recorded values.

To find the acceleration of the system, you can use the equation:

a = 2h / t^2

Where a is the acceleration, h is the height, and t is the time it takes for the washers to hit the ground. You can use this equation for each of your five test configurations and then find the average acceleration.

I hope this helps to clarify some of the confusion you were experiencing. Good luck with your project!

1. How does a pulley system affect acceleration?

A pulley system can either increase or decrease acceleration, depending on the number of pulleys and the direction of the force applied. For example, a single fixed pulley does not change the direction or magnitude of the force, but it can make it easier to lift an object by distributing the force over a larger distance. On the other hand, a compound pulley system can increase acceleration by reducing the amount of force needed to lift an object.

2. What is the difference between a fixed and a movable pulley?

A fixed pulley is attached to a fixed point, such as a ceiling or wall, and only changes the direction of the force applied. A movable pulley, on the other hand, is attached to the object being lifted and moves with it, reducing the amount of force needed to lift the object.

3. How can I calculate the acceleration of a pulley system?

To calculate the acceleration of a pulley system, you need to know the mass of the object being lifted, the force applied, and the number of pulleys. You can then use the equation a = F/m, where a is acceleration, F is force, and m is mass, to calculate the acceleration of the object.

4. Can a pulley system have a negative acceleration?

Yes, a pulley system can have a negative acceleration if the direction of the force applied is opposite to the direction of the object's motion. This can happen, for example, if you are lowering an object using a pulley system. In this case, the acceleration would be negative, indicating that the object is slowing down.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the acceleration of a pulley system?

Yes, in addition to the number and type of pulleys, there are other factors that can affect the acceleration of a pulley system. These include the friction between the pulley and the rope, the mass of the rope itself, and the angle at which the rope is pulled. These factors can all impact the amount of force required to lift an object and therefore affect the acceleration of the system.