Pulley system, find the mass

In summary, to determine the minimum mass, m2, that will cause the system to move, we need to equate the tension force to the force of static friction. Using the equation f_sum=ma, we can find that m2 = F_t/(g-a). At the instant when the system starts moving, a = 0 and thus m2 = 2.86 kg. If m2 exceeds this value, motion will occur.
jorcrobe

Homework Statement

A block with mass, m1 = 5.5 kg rests on the surface of a horizontal table which has a coefficient of static friction of μs = 0.52. This block is connected to another block by a pulley system and it hangs vertically under the influence of gravity, g. The hanging block has mass m2.

What is the minimum mass, m2, that will cause the system to move?

Homework Equations

f_sum=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured that the tension force must be equal to the force of static friction in order for the block to begin moving. I'm unsure where I should go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have found that m2 = F_t/(g-a)

I figure that at that instant a = 0?

making m2 = 2.86

If m2 exceeds 2.86 kg, motion will occur.

Last edited:

What is a pulley system?

A pulley system is a simple machine that uses a combination of ropes and wheels to lift or move objects. It helps to reduce the amount of force needed to lift an object by distributing the weight across multiple ropes and pulleys.

How does a pulley system work?

A pulley system works by using a combination of fixed and movable pulleys to change the direction of the force needed to lift an object. As the rope is pulled, the movable pulleys move along with the weight, distributing the force evenly across all the ropes.

What is the formula for finding the mass using a pulley system?

The formula for finding the mass using a pulley system is Mass = (force applied / acceleration due to gravity) * (number of ropes supporting the object - 1).

How do I calculate the force applied in a pulley system?

The force applied in a pulley system can be calculated by multiplying the weight of the object by the number of ropes supporting it. This is known as the mechanical advantage of the pulley system.

What factors can affect the accuracy of finding the mass using a pulley system?

The accuracy of finding the mass using a pulley system can be affected by factors such as friction in the pulleys, the weight of the ropes, and the precision of the measurements taken. It is important to minimize these factors to get an accurate result.