What is the minimum length for x to lift the bucket 9 meters in 4 seconds?

In summary, the problem is solved by finding the length of the lever arm which will rotate the pulley, and then using the new force required for that acceleration to bring the bucket up to the pulley in 4 seconds.
Hello2
http://imgur.com/NMu80

Hello!
I have a problem to solve and I am not quite sure how to.
In the linked image i have the values of G, F and D given.
F stays constant and right angled towards the lever.

The bucket needs to go up 9 meters in 4 seconds.
What is the smallest x can be for this to happen?

I know how to find x if the system was standing still, or at constant speed.
But it needs to move the bucket up 9 meters in 4 seconds.
Since the only thing i can change is x i presume that the extra moment given by extra length of x, correlates to the speed it needs to have?
Or can i look at this as a constant speed problem by saying that from the start of the movement, there was an average speed of 2.25 m/s?
Which then would mean that the length of x is equal to what it would be if the system was standing still.
As in
G*(D/2)-F*x=0
if using the center of the disc as the moment point.

Im confused.
Can i solve this simply through equilibrium analyzes or do i have to involve angular momentum or something like that?

Sry if my english isn't the best. Its not my native language.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello2 said:

Hello!
I have a problem to solve and I am not quite sure how to.
In the linked image i have the values of G, F and D given.
F stays constant and right angled towards the lever.

The bucket needs to go up 9 meters in 4 seconds.
What is the smallest x can be for this to happen?

I know how to find x if the system was standing still, or at constant speed.
But it needs to move the bucket up 9 meters in 4 seconds.
Since the only thing i can change is x i presume that the extra moment given by extra length of x, correlates to the speed it needs to have?
Or can i look at this as a constant speed problem by saying that from the start of the movement, there was an average speed of 2.25 m/s?
Which then would mean that the length of x is equal to what it would be if the system was standing still.
As in
G*(D/2)-F*x=0
if using the center of the disc as the moment point.

Im confused.
Can i solve this simply through equilibrium analyzes or do i have to involve angular momentum or something like that?

Sry if my english isn't the best. Its not my native language.

Hello Hello2, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Presumably 'x' is the length of a lever arm which will rotate the pulley? Are there masses specified for the items shown? Is it assumed that the force F will always act perpendicularly to the lever arm?

Thanks for the welcome =)

Yes, x is the length of the lever.
I have the value of G, F and D
D=200mm
G=150N
F=70N
F stays constant and perpendicular to the lever during the movement.

Okay, so suppose that the bucket ends up with a uniform acceleration (never mind how for the moment). What acceleration 'a' would be required to cover the specified distance in the given time?

If the bucket has a uniform acceleration, then a=1.125 m/(s^2)

Hello2 said:
If the bucket has a uniform acceleration, then a=1.125 m/(s^2)

Yes, very good. So, what upward force 'u' on the bucket is required to accomplish this? Remember, you have the weight of the bucket (G) and therefore its mass.

Hm, am i right in saying that u=167.2N? using g=9.82 m/(s^2)

So wait.. do i need to multiply u with the radius then and equal that to F*x
So
u*(D/2)=F*x
and break out x from that?
And look at it as having to be in equilibrium, only using the new force needed for that acceleration?
Or am i just confusing things now?

Hello2 said:
Hm, am i right in saying that u=167.2N? using g=9.82 m/(s^2)
Sure, that looks fine.
Hello2 said:
So wait.. do i need to multiply u with the radius then and equal that to F*x
So
u*(D/2)=F*x
and break out x from that?
And look at it as having to be in equilibrium, only using the new force needed for that acceleration?
Or am i just confusing things now?

No, that's correct. The arm x and the radius of the pulley form a lever with a fulcrum about the pulley's pivot. So using the moments about the pivot to relate the forces is the right way to go.

Yaay so then x=238.9 mm
Unfortunately i don't have access to the answer right now but doing the same thing on a problem i do have the answer for, were i needed to find the radius instead of the lever arm length, i got the right answer.

Its tempting to overcomplicate things (as in trying angular acceleration and such) when you havnt done these things too much yet.

Thanks a lot Gneill! You were awesome help!

So, this problem wasnt really done yet.
I also need to find the reaction forces in the center of the disc.
Call that point A, and i need to find Amax and Amin reaction forces.
Would i be right in trying to find the answer using centripetal force? and combining that with G?

Hello2 said:
So, this problem wasnt really done yet.
I also need to find the reaction forces in the center of the disc.
Call that point A, and i need to find Amax and Amin reaction forces.
Would i be right in trying to find the answer using centripetal force? and combining that with G?

Hmm. I think you'll want to look at the external forces acting on the system and see what reaction force at the pivot would keep the system pinned in place there. The force from the tension of the bucket rope is constant and directed vertically. The force from the lever arm starts out vertically too, but then changes direction. Presumably there will be points along its position that correspond to maxima and minima total force.

ok.
Do you mean something like in this picture?
http://imgur.com/A4pX5
http://imgur.com/A4pX5

I only did those two cases because that's what would give Amax and Amin, if its the right way to go.
But maybe i should use the force u, and not G like i wrote on there.
And the moment doesn't affect the resulting force in A right? since it can't stop the moment from turning?

The approach looks reasonable, but I would reconsider the total force applied by the rope with the bucket. It'll be accelerating, so the tension won't be just G.

1. How does a pulley system work?

A pulley system is a simple machine that uses wheels and ropes or belts to change the direction of a force. The rope or belt is looped around the wheel, and as one end of the rope is pulled, the wheel turns and lifts the object attached to the other end of the rope.

2. What are the different types of pulley systems?

There are three types of pulley systems: fixed, movable, and compound. A fixed pulley has a wheel that is attached to a surface and does not move, but changes the direction of the force. A movable pulley has a wheel that moves with the load, making it easier to lift. A compound pulley combines fixed and movable pulleys to create a mechanical advantage, allowing for heavier loads to be lifted with less effort.

3. What is the mechanical advantage of a pulley system?

The mechanical advantage of a pulley system is the ratio of the output force to the input force. In other words, it is how much easier the pulley system makes it to lift an object. A fixed pulley has a mechanical advantage of 1, a movable pulley has a mechanical advantage of 2, and a compound pulley has a mechanical advantage of the number of ropes supporting the movable pulley.

4. How do you calculate the mechanical advantage of a pulley system?

To calculate the mechanical advantage of a pulley system, divide the output force (the weight of the load being lifted) by the input force (the force applied to lift the load). For example, if a load of 100 pounds is being lifted with a force of 50 pounds, the mechanical advantage would be 100/50 = 2. This means that the pulley system is making it twice as easy to lift the load.

5. What are some real-world applications of pulley systems?

Pulley systems have many practical uses in everyday life. They are commonly used in construction, elevators, and cranes to lift heavy objects. Pulleys are also used in exercise equipment, window blinds, and theatrical rigging systems. In addition, pulleys can be found in various forms in bicycles, cars, and other machinery to change the direction of forces and make tasks easier to perform.