How does the tension in a pulley system change with different masses?

In summary, the arrangement shown in Fig. 1.18 consists of a rod and a ball, where the mass of the ball is 1.8 times the mass of the rod. The length of the rod is 100 cm and all other factors, such as friction and the mass of pulleys and threads, are negligible. When the ball is released from the same level as the lower end of the rod, it moves up while the rod moves down due to the rod having twice the mechanical advantage as the ball. This means that for every 2 inches the rod moves down, the ball only moves up 1 inch. This explains why the ball moves up even though it is heavier than the rod.
Saitama

Homework Statement

In the arrangement shown in Fig. 1.18(see attachment) the mass of ball 1 is η=1.8 times as great as that of rod 2. The length of the latter is l = 100 cm. The masses of the pulleys and the threads, as well as the friction, are negligible. The ball is set on the same level as the lower end of the rod and then released. How soon will the ball be opposite the upper end of the rod?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, i couldn't solve it so i had to peep into the solution. Here's the solution:
http://irodovsolutionsmechanics.blogspot.in/2007/08/irodov-problem-175.html

I don't quite understand the solution. It says that the ball goes up but that doesn't make sense to me. It is mentioned in the question that ball is heavier than the rod. The ball should move down as it is heavier. Please someone explain where i am going wrong.

Thanks!

Attachments

• pulley.png
    pulley.png
    24.2 KB · Views: 398
Physics news on Phys.org
The rod has twice the mechanical advantage as the ball. If the rod moves down two inches the ball only moves up one inch. If the rod were half the mass as the ball the system would balance and there would be no movement. The movements of the rod and ball are correlated, the rod moves twice the distance as the ball.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Hello Spinnor!
I don't understand what you mean by the term "mechanical advantage"? I understand when you said that the rod moves down two inches and the ball only moves up one inch but i can't see any relation of it with the ball's movement.

Suppose you hold the ball to keep it from moving. You can calculate what the tension is in the rope holding the ball. The tension in one rope is double the other. See below.

Attachments

• 10 8 12 3180.jpg
    10 8 12 3180.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 411
Spinnor said:
Suppose you hold the ball to keep it from moving. You can calculate what the tension is in the rope holding the ball. The tension in one rope is double the other. See below.

Thanks a lot Spinnor, i understand it now! :smile:

1. What is a pulley system?

A pulley system is a simple machine that uses a wheel with a groove and a rope or cable to lift or move objects. It allows for heavy objects to be lifted with less effort by distributing the weight over multiple ropes and pulleys.

2. How does a pulley system work?

A pulley system works by changing the direction of the force needed to lift an object. As the rope is pulled down, the object attached to it is lifted up. This is due to the tension and friction created between the rope and the pulley, allowing for the object to be lifted with less force.

3. What are the different types of pulleys?

There are three main types of pulleys: fixed, movable, and compound. A fixed pulley does not move and only changes the direction of the force. A movable pulley is attached to the object being lifted and moves along with it. A compound pulley is a combination of fixed and movable pulleys, allowing for even greater mechanical advantage.

4. What is mechanical advantage in a pulley system?

Mechanical advantage in a pulley system is the ratio of the output force (the weight being lifted) to the input force (the force applied to the rope). The more pulleys used in a system, the greater the mechanical advantage and the easier it is to lift heavy objects.

5. What are some real-life applications of pulley systems?

Pulley systems are used in a variety of applications, such as elevators, cranes, and construction equipment. They are also commonly used in exercise equipment, window blinds, and even in some types of fishing reels. In addition, pulley systems are used in many industrial and manufacturing processes to move heavy objects or materials.