Calculating Acceleration in Pulley System with m_1 = 5.0 kg and m_2 = 4.0 kg

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the acceleration of mass m2 in a simple Atwood pulley system. The correct equations for the situation are m1a1=T1-m1g and m2a2=T2-m2g. The speaker suggests using a free body diagram to correctly identify the forces acting on each mass. It is noted that in this special case, the masses share a common acceleration and tension. However, in the equations provided, the force of gravity is labeled as negative for both masses, which could lead to incorrect calculations. The speaker advises defining a direction of rotation and labeling forces as either positive or negative to ensure accurate results.
dekoi
If [tex]m_1 = 5.0 \ kg \ and \ m_2 = 4.0 \ kg[/tex], what is the acceleration of [tex]m_2[/tex]?

I think the following equations describing the situation are correct:
[tex]m_1a_1=T_1 - m_1g[/tex]
[tex]m_2a_2=T_2 - m_2g[/tex]

But I don't know how I can go about solving for [tex]a_2[/tex].
Is there a relationship between the two tensions, and the two accelerations?

Physics news on Phys.org
well in a pulley system the Tension on m1=m2g I am moslty sure but after my test today I am not sure what i know

Okay, take a deep breath. You are off to the right start, what with the Newton equations and all. Seems like you have a simple atwood pulley, where you have two hanging masses around a frictionless, massless pulley.

First thing you got to do is hit up the free body diagram. By correctly identifying that each mass experiences two forces, its weight and the corresponding tension of the rope, you can set them into their respective net force equations.

Here's where it gets tricky and easy, both at the same time. As the system moves (ya know, the masses move around the pulley) they seem to share something in common, and its not the tension. seems like both have the same sort of "movement" of you will. IN fact, they share a common acceleration! Not only that, but in this simple special case, they do indeed share a common tension as well! So whatyou have is two equations with two unknowns; a pretty simple mathematical procedure.

Here's the catch though. In your equations, you have the force of gravity to be negative for both of the masses. While gravity indeeds points downward, in this case, you must DEFINE a direction of rotation (clockwise or CC, it's totally up to you) as either positive or negative. By doing this, your free body diagrams will correctly label what is a "positve" force and a "negative" force.

I know this was a lot to handle, but try to rework it out and tell us what your final result for the acceleration of the system was. Good luck!

1. What is the formula for calculating acceleration in a pulley system?

The formula for calculating acceleration in a pulley system is a = (m1 - m2)g / (m1 + m2), where m1 and m2 represent the masses on either side of the pulley and g represents the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2).

2. How do you determine the direction of acceleration in a pulley system?

The direction of acceleration in a pulley system is determined by the relative mass of the objects on either side of the pulley. The object with the larger mass will experience a downward acceleration while the object with the smaller mass will experience an upward acceleration.

3. What is the unit of measurement for acceleration in a pulley system?

The unit of measurement for acceleration in a pulley system is meters per second squared (m/s2).

4. How does the acceleration change if the mass of one object is increased?

If the mass of one object in a pulley system is increased, the acceleration will decrease. This is because the larger mass will have a greater gravitational force pulling it down, resulting in a smaller net force and therefore a smaller acceleration.

5. Can you calculate the acceleration in a pulley system without knowing the masses of the objects?

No, in order to calculate the acceleration in a pulley system, you need to know the masses of the objects on either side of the pulley. Without this information, the acceleration cannot be determined.