Pulley wheel rotation question

In summary: But you should use the equation ω = ω0 + αt to verify that.In summary, when finding the angular displacement of a solid pulley wheel rotating at a constant velocity, the equation θ = ωt can be used if the speed is constant. However, if there is an angular acceleration, the equation θ=Wo*t+1/2*\alpha*t squared can be used. It is important to accurately use the initial and final angular velocities in the equations to get the correct answer.
lubo

Homework Statement

A solid pulley wheel is rotated at a constant velocity for 10 sec's. Find the angular displacement?

Wo (inital angular velocity) = 6Rad/s
W (angular Velocity) = 0 Rads/s
[itex]\alpha[/itex] = 0 (angular acceleration) Rads/s-2
θ = ? (angular displacement) Rads/s
t = 10 sec

Homework Equations

θ=Wo*t+1/2*[itex]\alpha[/itex]*t squared

θ=(Wo+W)/2)*t

The Attempt at a Solution

θ=Wo*t+1/2*[itex]\alpha[/itex]*(t squared)

displacement θ = 6 * 10 + 1/2 * 0 * t = 60 Rads

or θ=(6+0)/2)*10 = 30 Rads.

I cannot tell which one is right as they both should find θ. All I know is that there is an angular acceleration of 0 and 60 is the right answer. Does this mean I have to use an equation with [itex]\alpha[/itex] in it?

I thought I could use anyone I liked as it found θ.

Another example is if I decelerate:

Wo = 6 Rads
[itex]\alpha[/itex] =-3Rads
t = 2 sec

displacement θ = 6 * 2 + 1/2 * -3 * (2^2) = 6 Rads

or θ=(6+0)/2)*2 = 6 Rads.

Why would this work out or is it just luck? I know the answer to be 6 Rads.

Thank you for any help in advance. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
lubo said:
Wo (inital angular velocity) = 6Rad/s
OK.
W (angular Velocity) = 0 Rads/s
:confused: I thought the speed was constant? W = 6 rad/s.

θ=Wo*t+1/2*[itex]\alpha[/itex]*(t squared)

displacement θ = 6 * 10 + 1/2 * 0 * t = 60 Rads
That's fine.

or θ=(6+0)/2)*10 = 30 Rads.
You are using W = 0, which is incorrect.

I cannot tell which one is right as they both should find θ. All I know is that there is an angular acceleration of 0 and 60 is the right answer. Does this mean I have to use an equation with [itex]\alpha[/itex] in it?

I thought I could use anyone I liked as it found θ.
You can use either one. (Of course, all you really need is θ = ωt, since the speed is constant.) But you have to use the right values.

Another example is if I decelerate:

Wo = 6 Rads
[itex]\alpha[/itex] =-3Rads
t = 2 sec

displacement θ = 6 * 2 + 1/2 * -3 * (2^2) = 6 Rads

or θ=(6+0)/2)*2 = 6 Rads.

Why would this work out or is it just luck? I know the answer to be 6 Rads.
A little bit of luck. You assumed that the final velocity ω equaled 0 at t = 2 sec. Happens to be true.

What is a pulley wheel and how does it work?

A pulley wheel is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope, belt, or chain wrapped around it. When a force is applied to one end of the rope, the wheel rotates, allowing objects to be lifted or moved. The pulley wheel works by changing the direction of the force applied to the rope, making it easier to lift heavy objects by distributing the weight.

What factors affect the rotation of a pulley wheel?

The rotation of a pulley wheel can be affected by a few factors, such as the weight of the load, the friction between the rope and the wheel, and the number of pulleys used in the system. The angle at which the rope is pulled can also impact the rotation of the wheel.

Can a pulley wheel rotate in both directions?

Yes, a pulley wheel can rotate in both clockwise and counterclockwise directions. The direction of rotation depends on the direction of the force applied to the rope. If the force is applied in a clockwise direction, the wheel will rotate in that direction and vice versa.

What are the advantages of using a pulley wheel?

One of the main advantages of using a pulley wheel is that it can make it easier to lift heavy objects. By distributing the weight of the load across multiple ropes and pulleys, the force required to lift the object is reduced. Pulley wheels are also simple and easy to use, making them a popular choice for lifting and moving objects.

Are there different types of pulley wheels?

Yes, there are different types of pulley wheels, including fixed, movable, and compound pulleys. Fixed pulleys have a fixed axle and are used to change the direction of the force. Movable pulleys have a movable axle and are used to lift heavy loads. Compound pulleys combine both fixed and movable pulleys to provide a mechanical advantage, making it even easier to lift heavy objects.