1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pulley with Multiple Weights

1. Jun 15, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The system is in equilibrium and the pulleys are weightless and frictionless. The weights are 25 N, 4 N, 4 N, and 1 N. Find the tension T. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. Answer in units of N

2. Relevant equations
    F=ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    Honestly, we've never done with a pulley system with multiple weights in class, so I don't know how to begin. I also don't know how to address the fact that some pulleys are connected to the center of another pulley.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2013 #2
    You need to consider each pulley and each mass in a FBD. It is not difficult, but may be a bit tedious.

4. Jun 16, 2013 #3
    Okay, but what do I do in a FBD for the 25N weight, which is connected to the center of a pulley?

5. Jun 16, 2013 #4
    To make the problem easier first try to find the Tension in the 3 strings. And then as Voko said draw FBD of each mass. I don't think you need to make FBD of pulleys.

6. Jun 16, 2013 #5
    The 25N weight has three forces: its own weight, the tension of the rope at the bottom, and the tension of the rope at the top. Just like any other weight, really.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted