Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Pulley with rope at angle

1. Mar 14, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/ll12/toluun/?action=view&current=IMAG0004.jpg

Here is a picture of the problem at hand. I know how to solve the problem however the only thing I don't understand is the relationship between A and B. This means that if A moves to the right 1ft how far will B move downward?

2. Relevant equations

I know how to solve the problem however the only thing I don't understand is the relationship between A and B. This means that if A moves to the right 1ft how far will B move downward?

3. The attempt at a solution

I first tried thinking that if A moved 1 ft to the right the change in B would be the length of the rope covered. So Xb(change in mass b)= Xa/cos(30).

However this is incorrect I have the solution and the relationship is Xb = Xa * cos(30)
    can anyone explain this?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2010 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

You know that r*cos(theta)=Xa and r+Xb=constant (said constant being the length of the rope). You can figure out the relationship between Xa and Xb by substitution.

4. Mar 14, 2010 #3
    I have a question, since we are looking for the relationship between the accelerations, we have to differentiate to get it. But when we do, do we differentiate the cos(theta)?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook