How does the movement of A affect the movement of B?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the movement of objects A and B, with a given relationship between their positions and a question about their accelerations. The solution involves substitution and differentiation, with the relationship between A and B being Xb = Xa * cos(30). The question asks if the differentiation should also be applied to cos(theta).
tuloon

Homework Statement

http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/ll12/toluun/?action=view&current=IMAG0004.jpg

Here is a picture of the problem at hand. I know how to solve the problem however the only thing I don't understand is the relationship between A and B. This means that if A moves to the right 1ft how far will B move downward?

Homework Equations

I know how to solve the problem however the only thing I don't understand is the relationship between A and B. This means that if A moves to the right 1ft how far will B move downward?

The Attempt at a Solution

I first tried thinking that if A moved 1 ft to the right the change in B would be the length of the rope covered. So Xb(change in mass b)= Xa/cos(30).

However this is incorrect I have the solution and the relationship is Xb = Xa * cos(30)
can anyone explain this?

Physics news on Phys.org
You know that r*cos(theta)=Xa and r+Xb=constant (said constant being the length of the rope). You can figure out the relationship between Xa and Xb by substitution.

ideasrule said:
You know that r*cos(theta)=Xa and r+Xb=constant (said constant being the length of the rope). You can figure out the relationship between Xa and Xb by substitution.

I have a question, since we are looking for the relationship between the accelerations, we have to differentiate to get it. But when we do, do we differentiate the cos(theta)?

What is a pulley with rope at angle?

A pulley with rope at angle is a type of simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove, a rope or cable, and a load. The rope is wrapped around the wheel and the load is attached to one end of the rope, while the other end is pulled to lift the load.

How does a pulley with rope at angle work?

The pulley with rope at angle works by reducing the amount of force needed to lift a load. By pulling the rope at an angle, the load is lifted vertically with less effort. The angle of the rope also distributes the weight of the load between multiple ropes, making it easier to lift.

What are the advantages of using a pulley with rope at angle?

Using a pulley with rope at angle has several advantages. It can reduce the amount of force needed to lift a heavy load, making it easier for a single person to do the job. It also allows for the direction of the force to be changed, making it useful for lifting objects in hard-to-reach areas.

What are the different types of pulleys with rope at angle?

There are two main types of pulleys with rope at angle: fixed and movable. A fixed pulley is attached to a stationary object, while a movable pulley is attached to the load and moves along with it. There are also compound pulleys, which combine multiple fixed and movable pulleys to increase the mechanical advantage.

How is mechanical advantage calculated for a pulley with rope at angle?

Mechanical advantage is calculated by dividing the load weight by the force applied. In the case of a pulley with rope at angle, the mechanical advantage is equal to the number of ropes supporting the load. For example, if there are three ropes supporting a load of 100 pounds, the mechanical advantage is 3, meaning it takes 3 pounds of force to lift the load.