Calculate Friction Coefficient Using Pulleys and Mass

In summary, The conversation is about finding the coefficient of friction in a system with two masses, one at rest on a horizontal plane and the other suspended in the air. The formula used is rearranged to solve for the coefficient of friction, but the result seems impossibly high. The person later realizes that the system begins at rest and the acceleration is 0.6525 m/s(squared).
Chaotic Boredom
Alright, I know I have this stuff somewhere at school, but unfortunately, I can't leave it till tom.

A mass is at rest on a horizontal plane, and is attached by a second mass that is threaded through a pulley and is suspended in the air. What is the coefficient of friction?

The formula I've been using is

M(1)a(coefficient of friction) = M(2) (g-a)
(sorry about the horrible representation)

rearranged into this:

M(2) (g-a) = (coefficient of friction)
M(1)a

where a= acceleration
M= mass
g = gravity = 9.81

Unfortunately, upon plugging in my numbers from the experiment, I keep getting 7.5171...for the coefficient of gravity...which to me seems impossibly high!

Physics news on Phys.org
The system is at rest, so what's acceleration supposed to be?

cookiemonster

Oops, forgot to mention that the system BEGINS at rest and then the suspended mass is released, hence the acceleration...wow, I feel dumber already! :uhh:

Acceleration was 0.6525 m/s(squared)

1. What is the formula for calculating friction coefficient using pulleys and mass?

The formula for calculating friction coefficient using pulleys and mass is mu = (m1 - m2) / (m1 + m2), where mu is the friction coefficient, m1 is the mass on one side of the pulley, and m2 is the mass on the other side of the pulley.

2. How do I determine the masses to use in the calculation?

In order to calculate the friction coefficient, you will need to measure the masses of both objects on either side of the pulley. Make sure to use consistent units of mass, such as kilograms or pounds.

3. Can this method be used to calculate friction in real-life situations?

Yes, this method can be used to calculate friction in real-life situations, such as when a pulley system is used to lift heavy objects. However, it is important to note that there may be other factors, such as air resistance, that can affect the accuracy of the calculation.

4. What are the limitations of using this method to calculate friction coefficient?

One limitation of using this method is that it assumes the pulley and mass system is in equilibrium, meaning that all forces are balanced. Additionally, this method does not account for other sources of friction, such as surface roughness or air resistance.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using this method?

Yes, it is important to use caution when setting up and conducting experiments involving pulleys and masses. Make sure to use appropriate safety equipment, such as gloves and goggles, and to carefully follow any instructions or guidelines provided by your teacher or supervisor.