1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pulleys and Inclined Planes

1. Aug 1, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    feynman1-8.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    Conservation of Energy / Virtual Work
    $$\sum_i m_i g h_i = 0$$

3. The attempt at a solution
    Moving the pulley I labeled A down by ##\delta y## moves ##w## down by ##\delta y##, and moves ##W## up by ##\frac{1}{2} sin\theta##.

So by conservation of energy I have $$-w\delta y + \frac{1}{2}W \delta y sin\theta = 0$$ leading to ##W = \frac{2w}{sin\theta}##.

I feel uncertain about this answer however, because it seems like the mechanics would be the same if you removed Pulley A and replaced it with ##w##.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Are you sure about that?

4. Aug 1, 2016 #3
    Not sure why you are using virtual work either. I would attack this problem with mechanical advantage of a system of pulleys.

Regards,
    KQ6UP

5. Aug 1, 2016 #4
    My reasoning here is that if pulley A is moved down to be even with the anchor point, ##w## will have dropped by the initial length between the anchor and the pully. feynman1-8b.jpg

6. Aug 1, 2016 #5
    I see my mistake now! ##\delta y## moves ##w## by ##2\delta y##. So ##W=\frac{4w}{sin\theta}##, which is what I get from force analysis as well.

7. Aug 1, 2016 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That looks good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted