Can Conservation of Energy Explain Pulley and Inclined Plane Mechanics?

In summary, the conservation of energy and virtual work principles were used to analyze the mechanics of a system of pulleys. The result was a calculation for the weight W, which turned out to be equal to 4 times the weight w divided by the sine of the angle theta. There was also a discussion about the initial assumption that moving pulley A down by a certain distance would move weight w down by the same distance, which was later corrected to be twice the distance.
showzen

Homework Statement

feynman1-8.jpg

Homework Equations

Conservation of Energy / Virtual Work
$$\sum_i m_i g h_i = 0$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Moving the pulley I labeled A down by ##\delta y## moves ##w## down by ##\delta y##, and moves ##W## up by ##\frac{1}{2} sin\theta##.

So by conservation of energy I have $$-w\delta y + \frac{1}{2}W \delta y sin\theta = 0$$ leading to ##W = \frac{2w}{sin\theta}##.

I feel uncertain about this answer however, because it seems like the mechanics would be the same if you removed Pulley A and replaced it with ##w##.

Physics news on Phys.org
showzen said:
Moving the pulley I labeled A down by δy moves w down by δy
Are you sure about that?

Not sure why you are using virtual work either. I would attack this problem with mechanical advantage of a system of pulleys.

Regards,
KQ6UP

haruspex said:
Are you sure about that?

My reasoning here is that if pulley A is moved down to be even with the anchor point, ##w## will have dropped by the initial length between the anchor and the pully.
feynman1-8b.jpg

showzen said:
My reasoning here is that if pulley A is moved down to be even with the anchor point, ##w## will have dropped by the initial length between the anchor and the pully.View attachment 104192

I see my mistake now! ##\delta y## moves ##w## by ##2\delta y##. So ##W=\frac{4w}{sin\theta}##, which is what I get from force analysis as well.

showzen said:
I see my mistake now! ##\delta y## moves ##w## by ##2\delta y##. So ##W=\frac{4w}{sin\theta}##, which is what I get from force analysis as well.
That looks good.

Likes showzen

1. What is a pulley and how does it work?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a grooved rim and a rope or chain that runs along the groove. It is used to lift or move heavy objects by changing the direction of the force needed to lift the object.

2. What are the different types of pulleys?

There are three types of pulleys: fixed, movable, and compound. A fixed pulley is attached to a structure and only changes the direction of the force. A movable pulley is attached to the object being lifted and reduces the amount of force needed. A compound pulley is a combination of fixed and movable pulleys that can provide a mechanical advantage to lift heavy objects.

3. How do inclined planes make work easier?

Inclined planes are a type of simple machine that consists of a sloping surface. They make work easier by reducing the amount of force needed to move an object. By spreading the work over a longer distance, an inclined plane reduces the force needed to lift an object to a certain height.

4. What is the relationship between pulleys and inclined planes?

Pulleys and inclined planes are often used together to create a mechanical advantage. The inclined plane provides a longer distance to spread the work over, reducing the force needed. Pulleys can then be used to change the direction of the force and make it easier to lift heavy objects.

5. How do pulleys and inclined planes affect the amount of work done?

Pulleys and inclined planes reduce the amount of work needed to lift or move heavy objects. By using these simple machines, the force needed to lift an object is reduced, making it easier to complete the task. However, the distance over which the force is applied is increased, so the overall amount of work remains the same.