Discovering the Keq of a System: Understanding Pulleys and Springs

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of keq in a system by analyzing the movement of pulleys and the displacement of mass. By relating the distance moved by the pulleys to the displacement of the mass, it is determined that x=2(x1+x2). When one of the pulleys is not operating, the distance moved by the mass is equal to 2x1+2x2, which helps in finding the value of keq.
Saladsamurai
So I am trying to follow along this example in the text to find keq of the system.

I can follow everything up until the point that they say: "It follows that x=2(x1+x2)

where:

x = displacement of mass
x1 =displacement of Pulley1cm
x2 =displacement of Pulley2cm

I am not seeing it. I am also very tired. So please help me and then slap me :smile:

Picture6-3.png

Physics news on Phys.org
For the time being, suppose k2 is not operating. When the pulley1 moves up through x1, what is the distance moved by the mass ?

Yeah. I don't see it. How ca I relate anything to x?

Like rl.bhat says: If k2 was not operating, I know that 2W=k1*x1 ... but I
don't see how that helps?

Anyone?

Just compare the movement of the pulley and release of the rope at mass end.
When the pulley1 moves through x1, mass moves through y1 distance ,then y1 = 2x1. Similarly for pulley 2, y2 = 2x2. So the distance moved by the mass y1 + y2 = x = 2(x1 + x2)

Okay. I mean, I believe you. I just don't see it.

Saladsamurai said:
Okay. I mean, I believe you. I just don't see it.
When p1 moves up through x1, on both side of the pulley x1 rope is released. That adds up to 2x1.

rl.bhat said:
When p1 moves up through x1, on both side of the pulley x1 rope is released. That adds up to 2x1.

Ahh. I think I see it now. Thanks for your patience!

1. What is a pulley and how does it work?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope or belt that runs along the groove. It works by changing the direction of the force applied to the rope or belt, allowing for easier lifting or pulling of heavy objects.

2. What are the different types of pulleys?

There are three main types of pulleys: fixed, movable, and compound. Fixed pulleys have a stationary axle and change only the direction of the force. Movable pulleys have a movable axle and also provide mechanical advantage. Compound pulleys combine multiple fixed and movable pulleys to increase the mechanical advantage even further.

3. How do pulleys make work easier?

Pulleys make work easier by reducing the amount of force needed to lift or move an object. This is achieved by distributing the weight of the object between multiple ropes or belts, which decreases the amount of force required for each individual rope or belt.

4. What are the uses of pulleys in everyday life?

Pulleys have a wide range of uses in everyday life, such as in elevators, cranes, and flagpoles. They are also commonly used in exercise equipment, window blinds, and even in simple machines like a clothesline. In industries, pulleys are used in conveyor belts, mining equipment, and manufacturing machinery.

5. What is the difference between a pulley and a spring?

A pulley is a simple machine that helps change the direction and magnitude of a force, while a spring is a type of elastic object that can store and release energy. Pulleys are used to lift or move objects, while springs are used in various applications such as shock absorbers, clocks, and mattresses. They are both important in different ways and play a significant role in various scientific and technological advancements.