Pulleys with Torque: Free Body Diagram Analysis

In summary: I was a little hesitant to mention it because it is not really the right way to do it. It is a trick that works often enough, but it can lead you astray sometimes. Nevertheless, here it is:Make a guess at which way things will move. Then apply the equations you have to see if the answers are positive or negative. If they are all correct, the signs will work out. If not, change all the signs and redo the calculation. If that works then your first guess was incorrect, and if it doesn’t then the problem is inherently unstable and you have to go back to the drawing board and start over.In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving a block and pulley
rashida564
Homework Statement
In the diagram to the left, a mass m1 is connected through a fixed pulley to a second movable pulley attached to a mass m2, with a massless wire terminating at the ceiling. The two pulleys are identical, have mass M and radius T,and have moment of inertia 1/2MR^2 for rotation about their axes
1)Sketch free-body diagrams for this arrangement
2)What is m1/m2 when the two blocks are in equilibrium?
3)Write down the four equations describing the motion of the blocks. Hence, find an expression for the acceleration of the blocks in terms of the parameters of the problem and g.
Relevant Equations
F=ma
t=I(alpha)
Free body diagram is below, but I have confusion about the tension. The tension on the block and pulley should always be the same by Newton third law. so T1=T1' and T2=T2'.
Part B) The system is in equilibrium so net torque on each pulley is equal to zero. Therefore T1'=T2' and T2'=T3.
Applying Newton second law of motion 2T1'=m2g and T2'=m1g. So m1/m2=1/2.
Part C) Haven't attempted yet but I think a2 should be half of a1, then there's simultaneous equations to solve it
But my confusion is about T1 and T1'.

Attachments

• IMG_20200110_160628.jpg
    IMG_20200110_160628.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 146
Physics news on Phys.org
Your diagram makes it very difficult for us (and probably you) to understand. I suppose we could figure it out from the text, but why not draw one diagram of the whole system so the relationships are clear?

IMG_20200110_175918.jpg

I hope this one is clearer

Also, your free body diagrams have several errors that are causing confusion. Don’t forget the pulleys have mass, and also where is the connection between mass 2 and pulley 2?

Likes rashida564
Cutter Ketch said:
Also, your free body diagrams have several errors that are causing confusion. Don’t forget the pulleys have mass, and also where is the connection between mass 2 and pulley 2?
I am thinking of not including the mass since I will only write the torque equation for the pulley

I see nothing in the problem statement to suggest the mass of the pulleys can be ignored. It could be a reasonable approximation for light pulleys. However here they explicitly tell you they have mass. Besides, if they were light you could ignore the rotational inertia too, and that clearly isn’t the intention.

Likes etotheipi
Cutter Ketch said:
I see nothing in the problem statement to suggest the mass of the pulleys can be ignored. It could be a reasonable approximation for light pulleys. However here they explicitly tell you they have mass. Besides, if they were light you could ignore the rotational inertia too, and that clearly isn’t the intention.
Thx I will have another go in it

So I added the weight of the pulley in the diagram. And wrote the force equations. Where small t net torque. and anticlockwise is the positive direction.
for the pulley in the left t=(T1'-T2)R=1/2MR^2α1. Or T1'-T2=1/2Ma1
torque equation for the right pulley R(T2'-T3)=1/2MR^2α2. T2-T3=1/2Ma2
Force equation For block 1 m1g-T1=m1a
For equation for the system of Block 2 + Pulley " Ignoring the internal forces"
m2g+Mg-T2+T3=m2a

You said, “for the pulley in the left
t=(T1'-T2)R=1/2MR^2α1. Or T1'-T2=1/2Ma1”

When relating the angular acceleration to the linear acceleration, why did both R’s disappear?

One R Cancelled from the one in the left hand side and the other because α =a/R

You said, “For equation for the system of Block 2 + Pulley " Ignoring the internal forces"
m2g+Mg-T2+T3=m2a”

Why is only the mass m2 accelerating?

Sorry I forgot to include the other mass

IS the other equation correct, I have the confusion about the direction of positive and negative with forces and torques

rashida564 said:
2)What is m1/m2 when the two blocks are in equilibrium?
I must be missing something. Why isn't it the ratio of m1 to m2+M?

This made me stop solving the question and assuming that my solution is wrong 😢😢😢. It's taken from a past exam in my uni

rashida564 said:
This made me stop solving the question and assuming that my solution is wrong 😢😢😢. It's taken from a past exam in my uni
Ok, but we can continue with part C. What equations do you have for that now?

rashida564 said:
One R Cancelled from the one in the left hand side and the other because α =a/R

Oops! My bad. Sorry!

rashida564 said:

Oh no! You shouldn’t be discouraged. You have it. Your equations in post 9 are well constructed and show a good understanding of how to do the problem. If you left off a mass in one equation or didn’t draw one of the forces on pulley 2 in your force diagrams, that is only a little bit of attention to detail from perfect. Yes, as you mention in post 14 you now have to relate the signs correctly among the 4 equations, but that’s really the last step in setting up the problem.

Regarding relating the equations, what quantity connects them? What do they all share?

• Love
Likes rashida564
Cutter Ketch said:
Oh no! You shouldn’t be discouraged. You have it. Your equations in post 9 are well constructed and show a good understanding of how to do the problem. If you left off a mass in one equation or didn’t draw one of the forces on pulley 2 in your force diagrams, that is only a little bit of attention to detail from perfect. Yes, as you mention in post 14 you now have to relate the signs correctly among the 4 equations, but that’s really the last step in setting up the problem.

Regarding relating the equations, what quantity connects them? What do they all share?
I assume post #16 is in response to my post #15.

All the equation contains 4 unknown with four equations, that relates the forces (after simplifying the torques equation) with the acceleration. Also I make the connected the acceleration of the a1 and a2 by the constrain equation. But I am scared of the negative and positive torque and how to define the positive direction

rashida564 said:
the negative and positive torque and how to define the positive direction
This can be tricky. There are formal methods involving right hand rules and vector products, but it’s generally easier just to apply a little thought.
You don't need to guess correctly in advance which way things will move; just choose a positive direction for each force, torque and acceleration and be consistent. To connect forces with torques, is it clear to you that an upward force about an axis to the left leads to an anticlockwise torque?
For pulley problems like this, there is a cheat method. But I won't go into that if you can handle the method above.
Please post your equations.

will the angular acceleration of both pulley be the same since they are connected by a rope

rashida564 said:
will the angular acceleration of both pulley be the same since they are connected by a rope
I see no reason why they would.
Please post your equations.

I asked my friend he told me both of them should have the same acceleration be the angular acceleration is tangential acceleration divided by the radius. Both of them have the same tangential acceleration "otherwise the rope will extend" and they have the same radius. So they will have the same angular acceleration

rashida564 said:
otherwise the rope will extend
No, if they have different tangential accelerations (ignoring for the moment that they have the same radius) it only means the section of rope connecting them will change in length.

So I alpha is a/R is where a is the acceleration of each pulley

So far I got 4 equations of motions.
First for force assume up to be the positive direction
Constrain equation
a1=2a2
T1-m1g=m1a1=2m1a2
T2+T3-(M+m2)g=m2a2
For the torque equation, I assumed that counter clock wise is positive and also assumed that m1 goes down.
T1R-T2R=1/2 M R^2 (a2/R)(2). Since a1=2a2
so T1-T2=a2M
-T2R+T3R=1/2 MR^2 (-a2/R)
T2-T3=Ma2/2

Last edited:
for part b) I putted a=0 So
T1-m1g=0
T2+T3-(M+m2)g=0
T1-T2=0
2T2-2T3=0
So T2=T3 for the last equation
Then T2=T1 for the third equation
So after that T1=mg from the first equation therefor T2=T3=T1=m1g
From the second equation
2m1g=M+m2
so m1=(M+m2)/2
Which kinda make sense, since the mechanical advantage is 2.
Now what's left is part c.

rashida564 said:
So I alpha is a/R is where a is the acceleration of each pulley
Where a is the tangential acceleration in each case.

Likes rashida564
rashida564 said:
a1=2a2
T1-m1g=m1a1=2m1a2
T2+T3-(M+m2)g=m2a2
Those equations are not consistent in regard to which ways are positive for the accelerations.

I think I can see it now, is it because a1=-2a2

rashida564 said:
I think I can see it now, is it because a1=-2a2
Yes.

I think now I got it. By putting one of the linear equation as negative. namely : m1g-T1=2m1a2.
For here I added two equation T1-T2+(m1g-T1)=Ma2+m1a1
or m1g-T2=Ma2+2m1a2
For this I can find T2=m1g-Ma2-2m1a2
then I can also find T3, 2T2-2T3=Ma2
Or T3= (2T2-Ma2)/2
which is cool thing since T2 is expressed purely in terms of m, M,a and g.
Using the last equation T2+T3-(M+m2)g=m2a2
And substitute value of T2 and T3. Hopping I didn't make any mistake I will get that
a2=1/m2(((3m1-5m1a2)/2) + (M+m2)g )
And I can also find a1. which is just twice a2

rashida564 said:
a2=1/m2(((3m1-5m1a2)/2) + (M+m2)g )
This is indecipherable. There appears to be a term (3m1-5m1a2), which makes no sense. You can't subtract a force from an acceleration.
Please use parentheses as appropriate and either use LaTeX or use subscripts (use the ...▼ pulldown) and multiply out as necessary to avoid the divisions.
Also, for it to be an expression for a2 you should arrange that a2 does not occur on both sides of the equation.

What is a pulley?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a grooved wheel and a rope or cable that runs along the groove. It is used to lift heavy objects by changing the direction of the force needed to lift the object.

How does a pulley work?

A pulley works by distributing the weight of an object evenly between multiple ropes or cables. This allows for the force needed to lift the object to be reduced, making it easier to lift heavy objects.

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the turning force on an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied.

How do pulleys affect torque?

Pulleys can increase or decrease the amount of torque needed to lift an object. By using multiple pulleys, the amount of force needed to lift an object can be reduced, but the distance the force needs to be applied is increased. This results in a trade-off between force and distance when using pulleys.

How can free body diagrams be used to analyze pulleys with torque?

Free body diagrams show all the forces acting on an object, including the forces from pulleys and the torque they create. By using free body diagrams, we can determine the net force and net torque acting on an object and use that information to analyze the motion of the object.