1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pullign Blocks Question

1. Mar 24, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Three identical blocks connected by ideal strings are being pulled along a horizontal frictionless surface by a horizontal force F_vec. The magnitude of the tension in the string between blocks B and C is [tex]T = 3.00 {\rm N}[/tex]. Assume that each block has mass [tex]m = 0.400 {\rm kg}[/tex].

a)What is the magnitude F of the force?

b) What is the tension T_AB in the string between block A and block B?

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/3789/9374t.jpg [Broken]

2. Relevant equations
    W=mg
    F=ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    a) i made A and B as one object and calculated the acceleration of the object

two forces are acting on this object.
    1st force
    w=mg
    w=0.4*9.8
    W=3.92N

2nd force is tension = 3N

Found Fnet to be 3+3.92+4.94
    Fnet = 11.86

used F=ma formula

a=11.86/0.4
    a=29.65m/s^2

then to find the force i went: a=Fnet/3m

so a=11.86/3*0.4

a=9.88m/s

To find force i use 9.88 * 0.4 = 4N ------> answer's says it 4.50N (tell me where i have gone wrong)

b) Used f=ma

f= 29.65 * 0.4
    =11.86 i know this is incorrect, but someone tell me the correct way of doing this.

P.S

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2010 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

There's also the upward normal force acting on the blocks, which exactly cancels the weight. (Since there's no acceleration in the vertical direction.)

I thought you said there were two forces acting on the blocks? And since these forces act in different directions, they can't just be added like numbers.

Hint: The vertical forces add to zero, so they can be ignored.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook