Pullign Blocks Question

• Thread starter Paymemoney
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Blocks
In summary: It's the horizontal forces that make the blocks accelerate.used F=ma formulaa=11.86/0.4a=29.65m/s^2which is the acceleration of the blocks, not the force acting on them.then to find the force i went: a=Fnet/3mso a=11.86/3*0.4a=9.88m/sTo find force i use 9.88 * 0.4 = 4N ------> answer's says it 4.50N (tell me where i have gone wrong)b) Used f=maf= 29.65 * 0.4 =11.86 i
Paymemoney

Homework Statement

Three identical blocks connected by ideal strings are being pulled along a horizontal frictionless surface by a horizontal force F_vec. The magnitude of the tension in the string between blocks B and C is [tex]T = 3.00 {\rm N}[/tex]. Assume that each block has mass [tex]m = 0.400 {\rm kg}[/tex].

a)What is the magnitude F of the force?

b) What is the tension T_AB in the string between block A and block B?

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/3789/9374t.jpg

Homework Equations

W=mg
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

a) i made A and B as one object and calculated the acceleration of the object

two forces are acting on this object.
1st force
w=mg
w=0.4*9.8
W=3.92N

2nd force is tension = 3N

Found Fnet to be 3+3.92+4.94
Fnet = 11.86

used F=ma formula

a=11.86/0.4
a=29.65m/s^2

then to find the force i went: a=Fnet/3m

so a=11.86/3*0.4

a=9.88m/s

To find force i use 9.88 * 0.4 = 4N ------> answer's says it 4.50N (tell me where i have gone wrong)

b) Used f=ma

f= 29.65 * 0.4
=11.86 i know this is incorrect, but someone tell me the correct way of doing this.

P.S

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Paymemoney said:
a) i made A and B as one object and calculated the acceleration of the object

two forces are acting on this object.
1st force
w=mg
w=0.4*9.8
W=3.92N

2nd force is tension = 3N
There's also the upward normal force acting on the blocks, which exactly cancels the weight. (Since there's no acceleration in the vertical direction.)

Found Fnet to be 3+3.92+4.94
Fnet = 11.86
I thought you said there were two forces acting on the blocks? And since these forces act in different directions, they can't just be added like numbers.

Hint: The vertical forces add to zero, so they can be ignored.

1. What is the purpose of the "Pulling Blocks Question" in scientific research?

The "Pulling Blocks Question" is a type of research question used in scientific studies to investigate cause-and-effect relationships between variables. It focuses on identifying the factors that influence a particular outcome or phenomenon.

2. How is the "Pulling Blocks Question" different from other types of research questions?

The "Pulling Blocks Question" is different from other types of research questions, such as descriptive or exploratory questions, because it specifically aims to determine the effect of one variable on another.

3. What are some examples of "Pulling Blocks Questions" in scientific studies?

Examples of "Pulling Blocks Questions" include: "What is the effect of exercise on heart rate?", "How does caffeine consumption impact sleep quality?", and "Does temperature affect the growth rate of plants?".

4. What are the steps involved in creating a "Pulling Blocks Question" for a research study?

The first step is to identify the variables of interest and determine which one is the independent variable and which one is the dependent variable. Next, the researcher must define the population and sample they will be studying. Then, the research question must be clearly stated and testable. Lastly, the researcher must choose an appropriate research design to answer the question.

5. Can the "Pulling Blocks Question" be used in all types of scientific research?

Yes, the "Pulling Blocks Question" can be used in various types of scientific research, including experimental, correlational, and quasi-experimental studies. It is a versatile question that can be adapted to different research designs and methodologies.