Person pulling a block physics

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the minimum angle theta at which a person must pull a block with force F to make it slip on the ground with a coefficient of friction mu. The suggested solution involves using net force equations and solving for theta using differentiation and the calculus concept of maxima and minima. There is also a suggestion that the minimum theta may be zero.
atarr3

Homework Statement

A person pulls on a block with a force F, at an angle theta with respect to the horizontal. The coefficient of friction between the block and the ground is mu. For what theta is the F required to make the block slip a minimum.

Homework Equations

Net force equations for static objects

The Attempt at a Solution

So I'm pretty sure I've got all of my equations right, but I'm having trouble simplifying my results further.
[tex]Ff=\mu N[/tex] when the box slips and [tex]N=Mg-Fsin\theta[/tex] Substitution gives [tex]\mu\left(Mg-Fsin\theta\right)=Fcos\theta[/tex] I don't know how to solve for theta.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For theta for minimum F, write F as an explicit function of theta and differentiate w.r.t theta. Put it equal to zero(the calculus concept of maxima and minima).

But I'm not trying to find the minimum F, I'm trying to find the minimum theta.

Ok I think I have it now. I maximize the denominator in [tex]F=\frac{\mu Mg}{cos\theta+\mu sin\theta}[/tex] so the derivative is [tex]\mu cos\theta-sin\theta=0[/tex] So [tex]tan\theta=\mu[/tex]

As an afterthought, don't you think the minimum theta is zero?

1. How does friction affect a person pulling a block?

The force of friction between the person's shoes and the ground determines the amount of resistance the person experiences while pulling the block. The higher the friction, the more difficult it will be to move the block.

2. What is the relationship between the weight of the block and the effort required to pull it?

The weight of the block directly affects the amount of force required to pull it. The heavier the block, the more effort it will take to move it.

3. How does the angle of the pull affect the person's ability to move the block?

The angle of the pull affects the direction of the force being applied to the block. Pulling at an angle will require more effort than pulling in a straight line.

4. What is the role of the person's body position when pulling a block?

The person's body position can affect their ability to pull the block efficiently. Leaning too far forward or backward can make it more difficult to pull the block, whereas standing upright with good posture can make the task easier.

5. How does the surface of the ground impact the person's ability to pull the block?

The surface of the ground can affect the amount of friction and resistance the person experiences while pulling the block. Rough or uneven surfaces may make it more difficult, while smooth surfaces may make it easier to move the block.