Help! I'm Behind on a Physics Homework Assignment!

In summary, the conversation is about a student who has been out for 8 days and is trying to catch up on homework. They are struggling with a physics problem involving a block with given mass, tension, and angle, on a frictionless surface. The student has found the net force in the x-direction but needs help finding the net force in the y-direction and the acceleration and position of the block after 12 seconds. They have tried adding and subtracting forces but are unsure if they are doing it correctly. They have also been learning from Google as they have not had a textbook or in-class instruction.
whizbang21
I've been out 8 days and i missed this entire chapter, with a test on monday so I am trying to get all caught up. but i don't know how to do any of this homework.

Homework Statement

the mass is 3.80 kg, T = 16 N, and = 35 degrees. The surface has no friction. If x is horizontal and y is vertical...

i found tx=13.1 ty=9.2 and normal force=28 but i don't know if that has anything to do with what I am trying to find out..

what is the net force of the block in the x direction, and in the y direction. the acceleration of the block. What will be the position of the block after 12 seconds if it starts from a position 3 m from the left of the origin at a speed of -5 m/sec right? and what will be the velocity of the block at this time?

Homework Equations

no clue or else i would have figured it out myself.

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• Pulling_at_angle.gif
    Pulling_at_angle.gif
    3.6 KB · Views: 448
Physics news on Phys.org
whizbang21 said:
i found tx=13.1 ty=9.2 and normal force=28 but i don't know if that has anything to do with what I am trying to find out..
Good. That has plenty to do with answering this problem.

what is the net force of the block in the x direction, and in the y direction.
Start here. What forces act on the block? What are the components? (You've already solved most of this.) Add them up to get the net force. Give it a shot.

i found net-x but net-y I am having trouble with, I've tried adding the ty and the normal force together and also subtracting them, it didn't work of course but I am not sure if I am doing it wrong or I am getting screwed by significant figures. I am kind of just stumbling around like a blind man as this is the first problem I've done this entire chapter and i haven't received any help from my teacher.

The net force in the y-direction should be easy to answer without any calculation. Hint: You used it to figure out the normal force, whether you realized it or not. (There are three forces contributing to the net force.)

your cryptic answers would probably be helpful if i had a textbook and at least 1 day in class, rather than learning everything from google and trial and error.

whizbang21 said:
your cryptic answers would probably be helpful if i had a textbook and at least 1 day in class, rather than learning everything from google and trial and error.
You figured out the normal force somehow. How did you do it?

google.

1. How can I catch up on my physics homework assignment?

First, start by reviewing the material covered in class. Make sure you understand the concepts and equations before attempting the homework. Then, break the assignment into smaller, manageable chunks and set a timeline for completing each section. Seek help from your teacher or classmates if needed.

2. What resources can I use to help me with my physics homework?

There are a variety of resources available to help with physics homework, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and study guides. You can also ask your teacher for extra practice problems or attend extra help sessions.

3. What should I do if I don't understand a specific problem?

If you are having trouble with a specific problem, try breaking it down into smaller parts and identifying the key concepts involved. You can also consult your textbook, notes, or online resources for clarification. Don't be afraid to ask your teacher for help.

4. How can I manage my time better to stay on top of my physics homework?

To manage your time effectively, create a schedule and stick to it. Set aside specific times each day to work on your physics homework and avoid distractions. Prioritize your assignments and make sure to complete any long-term projects or assignments well in advance.

5. What should I do if I am still struggling with my physics homework after trying these strategies?

If you are still struggling with your physics homework, don't hesitate to seek additional help from your teacher or a tutor. They can provide personalized support and guidance to help you better understand the material and complete your assignments successfully.