1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pulling a block

1. Mar 13, 2010 #1
    I've been out 8 days and i missed this entire chapter, with a test on monday so im trying to get all caught up. but i dont know how to do any of this homework.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

the mass is 3.80 kg, T = 16 N, and = 35 degrees. The surface has no friction. If x is horizontal and y is vertical...

i found tx=13.1 ty=9.2 and normal force=28 but i dont know if that has anything to do with what im trying to find out..

what is the net force of the block in the x direction, and in the y direction. the acceleration of the block. What will be the position of the block after 12 seconds if it starts from a position 3 m from the left of the origin at a speed of -5 m/sec right? and what will be the velocity of the block at this time?

2. Relevant equations

no clue or else i would have figured it out myself.

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2010 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Good. That has plenty to do with answering this problem.

Start here. What forces act on the block? What are the components? (You've already solved most of this.) Add them up to get the net force. Give it a shot.

4. Mar 13, 2010 #3
    i found net-x but net-y im having trouble with, i've tried adding the ty and the normal force together and also subtracting them, it didn't work of course but im not sure if im doing it wrong or im getting screwed by significant figures. im kind of just stumbling around like a blind man as this is the first problem ive done this entire chapter and i havent received any help from my teacher.

5. Mar 13, 2010 #4

Doc Al

The net force in the y-direction should be easy to answer without any calculation. Hint: You used it to figure out the normal force, whether you realized it or not. (There are three forces contributing to the net force.)

6. Mar 13, 2010 #5
    your cryptic answers would probably be helpful if i had a textbook and at least 1 day in class, rather than learning everything from google and trial and error.

7. Mar 13, 2010 #6

Doc Al

You figured out the normal force somehow. How did you do it?

8. Mar 13, 2010 #7
    google.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook