Understanding Acceleration: Pulling a Box at an Angle

• Thread starter pb23me
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle Box
In summary, when a box is pulled at an angle, its acceleration in the y direction depends on the net force applied. If there is no component of the force in the y direction, the box will not accelerate vertically. However, if there is a significant vertical component, the box may tilt or even leave the plane. In a typical textbook problem, it is safe to assume that the box remains on the surface and has no vertical acceleration.
pb23me
when you pull a box at an angle is it accelerating in the y direction? I would think it is since there is now an unbalanced force in the y direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
pb23me said:
when you pull a box at an angle is it accelerating in the y direction? I would think it is since there is now an unbalanced force in the y direction.
That depends on how hard you pull. It could very well be that the net force in the y direction remains zero. (Note that the normal force of the floor on the box will adjust itself as the angled force is applied.)

To be sure of what you are actually asking, perhaps you could describe, in 3D?, which direction is which. Is this box just on a plane and is the force parallel to the plane?

its a 2D problem and no the force is at an angle to the plane. its being pulled along the x axis.

I could give the obvious answer and say that I wouldn't expect any acceleration in the y direction if there were no component of impressed force in that direction.
That presupposes that the surface is uniform, though. If there are any 'diagonal' features in the textures of the surfaces then that could produce a y component of force - and some y acceleration. 'Mating' grooves on both surfaces at 45 degrees could produce equal movement in x and y directions - that would be an extreme case..

pb23me said:
its a 2D problem and no the force is at an angle to the plane. its being pulled along the x axis.
If this is a typical textbook problem where a box is being pull along a horizontal surface by some rope at an angle, you can most likely assume that the box remains in contact with the surface and that there's no vertical acceleration.

As Doc Al said:
The effect of having some vertical component of the pulling force is to alter the magnitude of normal force.

Clearly, it IS possible that this vertical component becomes so large as to make the box tilt, but even in the case when the box doesn't visibly get this type of vertical acceleration, the normal force has changed.

I totally misread the op. Durr!

If the string is pulled so that the acceleration is enough for the vertical component to be g then the block will leave the plane. If the angle between the string and the plane is θ then the force would need to be >mg/sin(θ)

i am fairly new to this site, but as Doc Al said this is a typical physics problem even if the box is being pulled forward or backward at an angle it is safe to assume that the box remains on the surface or (ground) giving it no vertical acceleration.

I agree with Doctor AL on this question, while pulling the box on an angle you need to consider that it is still on the horizontal x plane, and therefore has no vertical acceleration. Think of it as if you were pushing or pulling a box up a hill and that might make the direction of the forces easier to visualize

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (how fast the object is changing) and direction (the direction in which the object is changing).

2. How do you calculate acceleration?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula is: a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. How does pulling a box at an angle affect its acceleration?

When pulling a box at an angle, the force applied is split into two components: the force in the direction of motion (parallel to the surface) and the force perpendicular to the surface. The parallel force determines the acceleration of the box, while the perpendicular force has no effect on acceleration.

4. How does the mass of the box affect its acceleration?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that a heavier box will have a lower acceleration when pulled at the same angle with the same force as a lighter box.

5. Can the angle at which the box is pulled affect its acceleration?

Yes, the angle at which the box is pulled can affect its acceleration. The higher the angle, the more the force is directed in the direction of motion, resulting in a higher acceleration. However, if the angle is too high, it may cause the box to tip over or lose contact with the ground, which would affect its acceleration.