1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pully problem.

1. Nov 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 29.3 kg block, m1, is on a horizontal surface, connected to a 6.70 kg block, m2, by a massless string as shown. The frictionless pulley has a radius R = 0.055 m and a moment of inertia I = 0.100 kg·m2. A force F = 202.5 N acts on m1 at an angle θ = 29.7°. There is no friction between m1 and the surface. What is the upward acceleration of m2?

prob24.gif
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

My textbook says that the net tension divided by the moment of inertia would give me the [tex]\alpha[/tex] and that multiplied by the radius would give me the acceleration, but it didnt work.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

That's certainly true, but you'll need the tensions to make use of it. Hint: Apply Newton's 2nd law to both masses and the pulley. Combine those three equations and you can solve for the acceleration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook