1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pullys with a mass

1. Dec 4, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You've been given a pulley for your birthday. It is a fairly big pulley 12 cm in diameter and with mass 2kg. You get to wondering if the pulley is uniform. To find out, you hang a 1kg textbook 1.0 meters above the floor and use a stopwatch to measure the time it takes it to fall (.71 seconds). What can you conclude about the pully

2. Relevant equations
    t= r x F
    t = I[tex]\alpha[/tex]
    F= ma

3. The attempt at a solution

I solved for the acceleration of the books

1.0 = .5a(.71)^2
    a= 3.97 m/s^s

Then used force equation on the book with a mg down and T up (axises are pointing down and to the right)

mg- T = ma
    T= m(g-a) = 5.83N

Since the tension is equal to the force of on the pully I used it to find the torque on the pully

t= r x F
    t=(.06)(5.83) = .350 N*m

I used to the torque to solve for Moment of Inertia using the other torque equation

t= I( a/r)
    t(r/a)= I = .0053 kg*m^2

Then I solved for Moment of Inertia of a uniform disk
    I= 1/2Mr^2
    I=.5(2)(.06)^2 = .0036 kg * m^2

Since the two moments on inertia are not the same the pully is not uniform. Is that correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Your calculation is correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook