Pulsars (but really calculus)

In summary, the conversation is about the formula for kinetic rotational energy (K=\frac{1}{2}I\omega^2), which can be rewritten as K=\frac{2\pi^2I}{P^2} where P is the period of rotation and ω is the angular velocity. The conversation also discusses the chain rule and how it applies to the calculation of the time derivative of K. There is also a brief mention of the incorrect use of units in the notes and a suggestion to use the correct formula for K, which includes the period of rotation.
AStaunton
looking at my notes on pulsars I have:

[tex]K=\frac{2\pi^{2}I}{P^{2}}\implies dk=\frac{2\pi^{2}I}{P^{2}}dP\implies\frac{dk}{dt}=\frac{-4\pi^{2}I}{P^{3}}\frac{dP}{dt}[/tex]

where K is kinetic rotational energy and P is momentum...

I don't quite follow the final expression (when the time derivitive is taken), when this is done to the final equality, it feels like the chain rule should be used as both dP and 2pi^2I/P^2 are functions of t...clearly I'm mistaken but I don't see why..I'm saying that I would have expected:

[tex]\frac{dk}{dt}=\frac{-4\pi^{2}I}{P^{3}}dP+\frac{2\pi^{2}I}{p^{2}}\frac{dP}{dt}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
i think you should have applied the chain rule when you first move to differentials

one way I have reasoned the above result is that:

as [tex]\frac{dk}{dP}=\frac{-4\pi^{2}I}{P^{3}}[/tex] and as P is a function of t then can simply mulitiply both sides by dp/dt...

Although I reasoned thusly, it still feels pretty wishy-washy... and I don't know if that is a legit way of coming to that result..

it feels like the correct way of doing it should be to directly plug in the value of P into the equation.
ie as P=d(mx)dt plug that into the first equality I wrote up:

[tex]K=\frac{2\pi^{2}I}{(\frac{dmx}{dt})^{2}}[/tex]

and then take the time derivitave of the above expression...the problem is I do not know how to take time derivative of (dx/dt)^-2...could you give advice here?

Also, the final piece of latex code I left at the bottom of my last post was completely incorrect!

I think your notes are wrong. For one thing, if I is the moment of inertia, P has to have units of time, not momentum, for the units to work out. Your initial formula is

[tex]K = \frac{1}{2}I\omega^2 = \frac{1}{2}I\left(\frac{2\pi}{P}\right)^2 = \frac{2\pi^2I}{P^2}[/tex]

P isn't the momentum but the period of rotation, and the angular velocity is ω=2π/P.

If you ignore the intermediate step you have written down, which is incorrect, you have

[tex]K = \frac{2\pi^2I}{P^2} \hspace{0.2in} \Rightarrow \hspace{0.2in} \frac{dK}{dt} = -\frac{4\pi^2I}{P^3}\frac{dP}{dt}[/tex]

which you should recognize as a simple application of the chain rule.

The energy the pulsar radiates away ultimately comes from the rotational energy of the neutron star, which in turn affects the period of rotation. By measuring dP/dt, the rate at which a pulsar slows, you can determine the rate at which it radiates.

1. What is a pulsar?

A pulsar is a highly magnetized, rotating neutron star that emits a beam of electromagnetic radiation. This beam can be detected on Earth as regular pulses, which is where the name "pulsar" comes from.

2. How are pulsars formed?

Pulsars are formed when a massive star runs out of fuel and collapses under its own gravity. This causes the star's core to become incredibly dense and its magnetic field to become highly concentrated. The star then begins to rotate rapidly, emitting a beam of radiation along its axis of rotation.

3. What is the calculus behind pulsars?

Calculus is used to study the motion and behavior of pulsars. Specifically, differential and integral calculus are used to describe the rate of change of pulsar rotation and the energy emitted by the pulsar, respectively.

4. How do pulsars help us understand the universe?

Pulsars provide valuable information about the physical laws and processes that govern the universe. They also serve as natural laboratories for studying extreme conditions such as high gravity and intense magnetic fields. Pulsar observations have also helped confirm various theories, such as Einstein's theory of general relativity.

5. Can we use pulsars for navigation?

Yes, pulsars can be used for navigation in space. Since each pulsar has a unique pulse frequency, spacecraft can use them as reference points to determine their position and velocity. This method is known as pulsar navigation and has been used by spacecraft such as Voyager 1 and 2.