Pulsating Equator

1. William Astley said:
    I found myself wondering about the pulsating equator recently. For those not in the know, Andre presented this excellent nutshell description in a previous thread.
    Check out this cool animation.

I was thinking that it it boils down to a fluid mechanics problem. Can you find a realistic solution to the Navier-Stokes equations that would allow for a pulsating equator?

The only force that is important in shaping the Earth (at a large scale) is gravity. If this is true then the only way you could get the equator to bulge (to my knowledge) would be to make it spin faster, and for it to pulsate it would have to slow down and speed up! Quite how that could happen is beyond me, I considered meteorites for a second, but after some consideration concluded that they would not be suitable. Unless there's some kind of transient anisotropy to gravity that we can't see in human timescales, I don't see any way the pulsating equator could physically work.

Discuss.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  2. jcsd
    Earth sciences news on Phys.org
  3. Bystander

Bystander 3,441
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

1) Lacks a driver; 2) fails to account for distortion of the gravitational field (and gradient) resulting from the distortion of the mass distribution; 3) fails to account for movement of water in response to that distortion.

4. That's a dissapointing assessment considering this for instance:

pertaining:
    http://home.wanadoo.nl/bijkerk/LR05-Epica-dome-c.gif

I sent this Email:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  5. Bystander

Bystander 3,441
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Foram 18O enrichment/depletion probably reflects seawater 18O enrichment/depletion; speculations on mechanisms for isotopic fractionation (sea level, SST, rainfall, etc.) infest the literature; there are no compelling arguments for any of the proposed mechanisms, and, therefore, no compelling arguments for selecting a particular mechanism to be further investigated for proximal cause.

That said, "polar-equatorial pulsation" won't affect local sea level; sea level conforms to the geoid; modify the shape of the geoid, and the shape of the oceans is modified, but the local sea levels are not.

6. whatever the reason for the d18O variation is, you cannot dismiss the absence of inertia system response characterics. Why don't engineers ever respond in these threads? That should falsify the Rutherford hypothesis. whatever happened, it happened in the oceans not in the atmosphere.

We talk about very minor modifications on Earth scale ROM ~100 - 200 meters versus a radius of 6300km and it's exactly the persistence of the sealevel to maintain the geoid shape that causes the effects. Where the sea level shape remains constant, the pulsating earth does not.

Actually it was impossible Melt water pulse 1A in concurrence with the equally impossible clathrate event of the Amazone Fan 13-14 Ky ago that triggered the idea.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  7. Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  8. baywax

baywax 2,215
    Gold Member

9. Who knows. I realize I was stealing the thread by showing the plethora of evidence supporting the little pet idea as a reaction on the ignorance fallacy challenge.

Anyway, the scientific method requires a physically feasible explanation. How feasible is it?

For one, it happens now: http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/equator_bulge_020801.html
    albeit on a very modest scale, but a modest scale at a very long times >10,000 years may lead to something.

Explaining what could or could not be happening is quite something different. I believe I have speculated about the solid inner core not spinning inline with the mantle all the time, due to different torque/precession features, causing different turbulence patterns in the fluid outer core, which could alter the pressure equilibrium at the core mantle boundary.

Would that make sence?

edit: added

The variation in pressure on the mantle due to the variation in turbulence of the fluid inner core may result in a shape change of the CMB which is ultimately transfered to the Earth surface?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  10. baywax

baywax 2,215
    Gold Member

Does the cool animation from Billards

http://home.wanadoo.nl/bijkerk/Pulsating-ice-age.pdf

also explain the mysterious rise in sea level you have noted in the past that cannot be explained by meltwater pulses?

11. Perhaps, although a sudden sea level lowering, which killed the coral just as well as a sea level rise would be more logical to explain the methane hydrate release of the Amazone fan. Perhaps the transient was complicated.

It would also help explaining this one for instance:

http://geology.geoscienceworld.org/cgi/content/abstract/30/4/379

Consider this that new study.

Also, trying to find more equatorial clathrate events. There seems one for the coast of India and the St Monica bassin of California is a good possibility. These are predictions BTW, required to see if the idea works.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?