1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pulse Code Modulation

1. Aug 18, 2007 #1
    Hi everyone:smile:,

This is my question:
    " Describe the concepts of PCM (Pulse Code Modulation) in a computer keyboard which its data are in digital format."

This is my justification:
    How to describe the concepts of PCM ? Isn't PCM a technique used to transmit analog signals in digital transmission ? I mean, PCM converts the analog signals into digital pulses and then reconvert them back into its original form (analog) at the receiver of a system. So, can somebody please give me some clues to answer the question. :biggrin:

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2007 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're right there is no sense in using PCM to talk between a digital keyboard and a computer.
    It might make sense for receiving data from something like an analog joystick or touchpad, are you sure you read the question correctly?

4. Aug 20, 2007 #3
    The question is correctly printed.

Describe the concepts of PCM (Pulse Code Modulation) in a computer keyboard which its data are in digital format.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?