Pulse Through Cable: Solving Part A and B

In summary, the conversation is discussing a question about the calculation of voltage and time in a transmission line. In part a), the formula for characteristic impedance is used, while in part b), the formula for propagation velocity is used. The final answer is either 8V or 16V at the oscilloscope, depending on which equation is used. The conversation also mentions the effects of reflection and the length of the transmission line in the calculations.
mmmboh
Hi, this is the question:

66ltgp.jpg

For part a) I did V=(L/C)-1/2=2.5x108 m/s. And then I said T=x/v where x=10m, so T=4x10-8s.

For part b) V++V-=VL...since it's the first wave I suppose there wouldn't be a reflecting wave yet, so V-=0.
I have an equation that says V+=[VL/2](1+R0/RL)...since it is an open circuit, RL=infinity, so R0/RL=0, and the equation becomes V+=VL/2 and VL=12V, so V+=pulse height = 6V...but if [tex]V_-=0[/tex] then according to my first equation [tex]V_+=V_L=12V[/tex]..I'm confused.

I have a feeling b) is wrong and that it should actually be 24V because of a combination of waves, I'm not sure about part a), any help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
mmmboh said:
Hi, this is the question:

66ltgp.jpg

For part a) I did V=(L/C)-1/2=2.5x108 m/s. And then I said T=x/v where x=10m, so T=4x10-8s.

For part b) V++V-=VL...since it's the first wave I suppose there wouldn't be a reflecting wave yet, so V-=0.
I have an equation that says V+=[VL/2](1+R0/RL)...since it is an open circuit, RL=infinity, so R0/RL=0, and the equation becomes V+=VL/2 and VL=12V, so V+=pulse height = 6V...but if [tex]V_-=0[/tex] then according to my first equation [tex]V_+=V_L=12V[/tex]..I'm confused.

I have a feeling b) is wrong and that it should actually be 24V because of a combination of waves, I'm not sure about part a), any help please?

It looks like you used the equation for characteristic impedance:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Characteristic_impedance

instead of for the propagation velocity (of a lossless TL):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave_propagation_speed

And to your question about the amplitude at the first reflection, remember that you are driving the TL through the 200 Ohm resistor. That will play off against the Zo of the TL. And I believe they want you to include the reflection effects in calculating the initial open circuit voltage at the open end...

For the propagation velocity thing, is that for part a)? I used the same equation except without the c in the denominator because I don't need what fraction of the speed of light it is.

For part b), I'm not sure I understand what to do in that case, is the equation I used wrong?

mmmboh said:
For the propagation velocity thing, is that for part a)? I used the same equation except without the c in the denominator because I don't need what fraction of the speed of light it is.

You posted for part a:

For part a) I did V=(L/C)-1/2

That's Zo.

Ooh right, I meant to put v=(LC)^-1/2 actually, that's the calculation I did, so the answer remains the same for part a).

Ok so from my equation for reflection coefficient, V-/V+(=RL-R0)/(RL+R0)...since there is an open circuit at the oscilloscope RL=infinity, and so V-/V+=1...so V- and V+ add together to make the pulse height at the oscilloscope 24 V...the answer is either that, or since Z0=100 ohm and the resistance in the generator is 200 ohm then V+=12V(100/300)=4V, unless it's 12V(200/300)=8V and then the V+ and V- still add and make 8V (or 16V depending on which equation is right) at the oscilloscope...

I think one of these two is the answer, maybe not, can you clear things up please?

mmmboh said:
Ok so from my equation for reflection coefficient, V-/V+(=RL-R0)/(RL+R0)...since there is an open circuit at the oscilloscope RL=infinity, and so V-/V+=1...so V- and V+ add together to make the pulse height at the oscilloscope 24 V...the answer is either that, or since Z0=100 ohm and the resistance in the generator is 200 ohm then V+=12V(100/300)=4V, unless it's 12V(200/300)=8V and then the V+ and V- still add and make 8V (or 16V depending on which equation is right) at the oscilloscope...

I think one of these two is the answer, maybe not, can you clear things up please?

I believe your 2nd answer is correct. As long as the TL is electrically long enough so that you can't treat it as just a lumped capacitance, then you will get the 3:1 voltage division, and the full positive reflection at the open end should give you double the incident amplitude. At least until things start ringing all over the place from the multiple reflections.

Ok thanks a lot!

1. What is a pulse through cable?

A pulse through cable is a type of electrical signal that travels through a cable, which is a conductor used to transmit electricity. It is a rapid change in voltage that travels along the cable at the speed of light.

2. How is a pulse through cable created?

A pulse through cable is created by a sudden change in voltage or current in the electrical circuit. This change in voltage or current creates a disturbance that travels along the cable, causing a pulse to form.

3. What is the purpose of solving Part A and B of a pulse through cable?

Solving Part A and B of a pulse through cable allows us to understand and analyze the behavior of the signal as it travels through the cable. This information is crucial in designing and optimizing cable systems for various applications.

4. What factors affect the propagation of a pulse through cable?

The propagation of a pulse through cable can be affected by several factors, including the type of cable, the length and thickness of the cable, the voltage and current levels, and the presence of any obstacles or interference in the cable.

5. How can we improve the propagation of a pulse through cable?

To improve the propagation of a pulse through cable, we can use techniques such as increasing the voltage and current levels, using higher quality cables with better insulation and lower resistance, and minimizing the length of the cable and any obstacles or interference in the path of the signal.