Signal & System Parameters - Bandwidth Selection

In summary, the program allows you to extract a single harmonic from a pulse train with very narrow pulses. The duty cycle of the input waveform affects the amplitude of the harmonic.
Erida
Hi,
Still trying to figure out things with signals and systems... It doesn't go as well as I hoped so please help me...
I was checking out a computer program which allows you to specify the
parameters of any kind of signal going through any kind of system and
then provides you with the output.
I used a narrow bandpass filter in order to extract a single harmonic
from a pulse train with really narrow pulses. What I don't get is how
one should decide what bandwidth to use for the bandpass filter. Is the
fact that the pulses are very narrow or wide of any significance?

Thank you!

Erida

Engineering news on Phys.org
Erida said:
Hi,
Still trying to figure out things with signals and systems... It doesn't go as well as I hoped so please help me...
I was checking out a computer program which allows you to specify the
parameters of any kind of signal going through any kind of system and
then provides you with the output.
I used a narrow bandpass filter in order to extract a single harmonic
from a pulse train with really narrow pulses. What I don't get is how
one should decide what bandwidth to use for the bandpass filter. Is the
fact that the pulses are very narrow or wide of any significance?
Thank you!
Erida
Will your program let you look at the frequency spectra of the input and output signals? That would be the most instructive thing for you at this point. The frequency spectra of a pulse train varies according to how wide the pulses are. If it's exactly a 50% duty cycle square wave, you will see only odd harmonics (fundamental, 3rd harm, 5th, harm, etc.), with the harmonics' amplitude falling off as 1/f. If the pulse train is not 50% duty cycle, then you will get some even harmonic energy, and the amplitudes will fall off with something other than a 1/f characteristic. Note also that there is less energy overall in the fundamental as you lower the duty cycle below 50%.

If you can do a Fourier transform or whatever on the waveforms in your software package, play with the duty cycle of the input waveform as you watch the results in the frequency domain. Then put a narrow BPF around the fundamental frequency, and watch the time domain and frequency domain results.

Don't worry, understanding signals and systems can be tricky at first but with some practice and guidance, you'll get the hang of it. Let's talk about bandwidth selection for a bandpass filter.

The bandwidth of a filter is the range of frequencies that the filter allows to pass through without much attenuation. In simpler terms, it determines the range of frequencies that the filter will "let through" and not block.

When it comes to selecting the bandwidth for a bandpass filter, there are a few factors to consider. One of them is the width of the pulses in your signal. In general, if the pulses are narrow, you would want to use a narrower bandwidth for your filter. This is because a narrow pulse contains a range of frequencies that is closer together, so a narrower bandwidth filter will be better at extracting that specific frequency.

On the other hand, if the pulses are wider, you would want to use a wider bandwidth for your filter. This is because a wider pulse contains a range of frequencies that is more spread out, so a wider bandwidth filter will be better at extracting that specific frequency.

Another factor to consider is the desired frequency response of your system. If you have a specific frequency range that you want to pass through the filter, then you would choose a bandwidth that covers that range. This can also depend on the application and the type of signal you are working with.

In summary, the width of the pulses and the desired frequency response are important factors in determining the bandwidth for a bandpass filter. It may require some trial and error to find the optimal bandwidth for your specific signal and system. I hope this helps, and don't hesitate to ask for clarification if needed. Good luck!

1. What is bandwidth in signal and system parameters?

Bandwidth refers to the range of frequencies that a signal can occupy and still be accurately transmitted or received. It is typically measured in hertz (Hz) and represents the amount of data that can be transmitted per unit of time.

2. How is bandwidth selection determined for a signal or system?

Bandwidth selection is determined by the specific requirements of the signal or system. Factors such as the type of signal, desired data rate, and noise levels must be considered in order to select an appropriate bandwidth for optimal performance.

3. Why is bandwidth selection important in signal and system design?

Bandwidth selection is important because it directly affects the quality and accuracy of the signal or system. Choosing too small of a bandwidth can lead to loss of information, while choosing too large of a bandwidth can result in an inefficient use of resources.

4. How does bandwidth selection impact the performance of a signal or system?

The selected bandwidth can impact the performance of a signal or system in several ways. A wider bandwidth can increase the data transfer rate and improve system response time, but it also increases the potential for noise and interference. Meanwhile, a narrower bandwidth can improve signal quality but may result in slower data transfer rates.

5. Can the bandwidth of a signal or system be changed after it has been selected?

In some cases, the bandwidth of a signal or system can be adjusted after it has been selected. However, this may require additional equipment or modifications to the system. It is generally recommended to carefully consider bandwidth selection during the design phase to avoid potential complications later on.