Pulsed electromagnetic field therapy (PEMF therapy)

• Thread starter Delzac
  • Start date
Sometimes empirical evidence cannot be disputed despite the limitations of our current paradigm. The applications of pEMF in both home health care and medical practice is here to stay. It's effects on biological systems are as real as the observed relationships between the elements of nature. Whether you observe the phenomena from a micro- or macroscopic level; the universe is energy. However, it is the forces that are the tapestry of life. I work with "humans" on a daily basis....with symptoms of cough to cancer. All patients can benefit from pEMF therapy. But there is one variable in the field of pEMF as well as other medical applications that commonly creates dissonance like that which is sprinkled throughout these threads. -DOSAGE-

2BTWN1 said->> "The applications of pEMF in both home health care and medical practice is here to stay."

Since becoming more interested in PEMF therapy as a result of this thread I have found that indeed this therapy is becoming more mainstream among orthopaedists, especially for elderly patients with bone fractures that are not responding to converntional treatment. Since the 8 years I was first prescribed PEMF therapy it has gone from being rare with little information to well known among doctors (at least in Florida). And insurance does pay for it from the information I obtained from several doctors.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Are you suggesting that PEMF therapy is a scam like weight loss claims?
Did you read my experience above with PEMF?

After 10 months of no healing I have no doubt to the effectiveness of the unit which showed healing starting just a few weeks after using the unit. I sincerely doubt the leg bones would have ever healed if not for this therapy. While it may not work on everyone in some case it may be the only hope.
While I appreciate your personal experience and welcome the input, it is anecdotal and not something that can be used to further a scientific discussion. Only peer-reviewed studies published in mainstream journals can be used to make an argument. It seems pretty clear to me that there are both credible and scam devices out there. The key is to consider the field strength and frequencies.

You don't need FDA approval for a device that doesn't do anything. And that seems to be the distinction: Some of the devices sold, such as the one referenced in the op, use field strengths and frequencies approximating what we find all around us - hence no FDA approval required. The devices referenced in the scientific literature have magnetic fields up to or more than 1000 times stronger. I have seen NO evidence from peer-reviewed studies showing that devices with a low field strength - approximating the naturally occurring fields already all around us - have any medical value.

Last edited:
While I appreciate your personal experience and welcome the input, it is anecdotal and not something that can be used to further a scientific discussion.
Are you suggesting that I should not have posted my personal experiences with a PEMF unit prescribed by a doctor in this forum?

IMO there is enough scientific evidence out there now that shows PEMF works.

[inappropriate link deleted by Ivan]

Plus, there are many people (along with their doctors) who also have personal experience with this therapy. It's certainly more scientifically settled than global warming. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Are you suggesting that I should not have posted my personal experiences with a PEMF unit prescribed by a doctor in this forum?
I said that one anecdotal account is not scientific evidence. When you objected by asking if the poster had read what you said, you were implying that your experience counts as proof of something, when it doesn't.

IMO there is enough scientific evidence out there now that shows PEMF works.

[inappropriate link deleted by Ivan]

Plus, there are many people (along with their doctors) who also have personal experience with this therapy. It's certainly more scientifically settled than global warming. :smile:
You linked a site that is not appropriate as a reference. Please read the posting guidelines before making anymore posts.

I also have stated several times now that there are a range of claims being made. Some appear to be credible and others not. Try reading the thread.