Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pulsed Plasma electric motor

1. Sep 25, 2003 #1

megashawn

Science Advisor

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2193742726&category=14431

I was gonna post this in engineering, but I think this is more suitable. Can someone take a look at this page real quick? It sounds pretty cool, like something from star trek, so I'm pretty sure it needs to be debunked.

Its wierd though, the seller has 100% positive feedback.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2003 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, here's a start:
    http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=/netahtml/search-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=ptxt&s1=6,271,614&OS=6,271,614&RS=6,271,614

4. Sep 25, 2003 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

5. Sep 25, 2003 #4
    If nothing else, Gotta love those magnets...

"made of high BH.sub.max permanent magnets"

6. Sep 25, 2003 #5
    The person on E-Bay is not selling the motor, just copies of the patent.

From the patent abstract it seems that what is unusual about this motor is that instead of a carbon on copper commutator the current travels across an air gap via plasma.

Possible reason this is of interest is that there are no brushes to wear out.

7. Sep 25, 2003 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Signed copies!

I pretty much assumed that he's asking for donations. If this device is so promising, then why does he need donations?

I'm still curious about the technical potential.

8. Sep 26, 2003 #7
    Hell, why not?

I'm not so sure I'd call this a solicitation for donations. Depending on the quality of the copies (If they're not just xeroxed) it will have cost him something to have them made. Therefore it is more likely that hes simply trying to advertise his motor and get interested parties to pay for the advertising.

The majority of inventors who are not already employed by a large company will never see their inventions manufactured and marketed. There are millions of cool inventions sitting dead in the patent office. I used to go through the patents at the library and couldn't believe some of the neat stuff I found that never went anywhere. Most of Tesla's and Edison's patents never went anywhere.

Once in a while an inventor is lucky and a big company will buy the rights to his patent, but for the most part they prefer to do their own R+D or steal the idea if they think they can get away with it. There was a famous case a few years back where Ford or someone had stolen some inventors new windshield wiper idea, and it resulted in a protracted court case. (I don't remember the outcome).

Impossible to tell. Apparently it's supposed to be super efficient. He's done away with all ferous metals in the armatures to prevent heating and hysteriesis and claims to be recycling what EMF there is that doesn't get converted to torque. Or something like that. (Patents are hard to follow, sometimes, and I couldn't get access to the drawings.)

9. Sep 26, 2003 #8

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

*Consults crackpot index*

10. Sep 26, 2003 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Originally posted by russ_watters in the particle physics section

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?