Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pulsed Power Supply -> Kinetic to Magnetic Energy

1. Aug 13, 2012 #1
    flowRoot3836.png

Can anyone give me some feedback on my understanding of this proposed experiment?

The device consists of 2 wound solenoids, each forming a closed loop.
    One solenoid is slightly smaller as to be able to fit inside of the outer solenoid.

The smaller solenoid is accelerated by compressed air / gravity/ etc and allowed to fire through the outer solenoid.

If both solenoids we under the influence of a weak magnetic field, would the kinetic energy of the fired solenoid turn into magnetic potential energy stored in the generated magnetic field of the solenoids and provide a braking effect. I'm sure this would be the case if the projectile was a permanent magnet ( aka linear generator ), but I am not if it would work the same with 2 solenoids.

Also, could the outer solenoid then be used as a high current pulsed power supply, similar to a large capacitor, but using kinetic energy as input?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted