1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pulsed Power Supply -> Kinetic to Magnetic Energy

1. Aug 13, 2012 #1
    flowRoot3836.png

Can anyone give me some feedback on my understanding of this proposed experiment?

The device consists of 2 wound solenoids, each forming a closed loop.
    One solenoid is slightly smaller as to be able to fit inside of the outer solenoid.

The smaller solenoid is accelerated by compressed air / gravity/ etc and allowed to fire through the outer solenoid.

If both solenoids we under the influence of a weak magnetic field, would the kinetic energy of the fired solenoid turn into magnetic potential energy stored in the generated magnetic field of the solenoids and provide a braking effect. I'm sure this would be the case if the projectile was a permanent magnet ( aka linear generator ), but I am not if it would work the same with 2 solenoids.

Also, could the outer solenoid then be used as a high current pulsed power supply, similar to a large capacitor, but using kinetic energy as input?

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted