Scott Manley's Video: Pulsed Rocket Drives

• Thread starter anorlunda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rocket
In summary, Scott Manley discusses several futuristic rocket engine concepts in a thought-provoking video. He mentions the idea of using pulsed drives and wonders if there are any science fiction stories that incorporate this concept. Some examples are listed on Wikipedia, but none of them fully account for the effects of the acceleration pulses on the crew. However, it can be compared to the experience of riding a running train, where the shocks and changes in direction can be felt. The conversation ends with a mention of the Orion rocket from "Footfall" by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, which includes shock dampening technology.
anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
Scott Manley makes some excellent videos. This is a thought provoking one about several futuristic rocket engine concepts.

Note in the video that many of the drives are pulsed. I'm wondering if there are any SF stories incorporating those ideas. I'm thinking of the ergonomics for the crew with zero-G almost all the time punctuated by say 1-G acceleration for 0.25 seconds repeating once every 3 seconds.

That is a living environment that sounds hard to visualize. In the case where rotation provides continuous artificial gravity, there would not be zero-G most of the time. However, the acceleration pulses would be orthogonal to the rotation G, and that sounds very hard to deal with.

Likes Filip Larsen
Physics news on Phys.org
Likes anorlunda
anorlunda said:
That is a living environment that sounds hard to visualize. In the case where rotation provides continuous artificial gravity, there would not be zero-G most of the time. However, the acceleration pulses would be orthogonal to the rotation G, and that sounds very hard to deal with.
In a daily life in a running train, we are under gravity from the Earth in vertical direction and get shocks by the sudden starts and stops in horizontal direction. We would observe the similar effects in your case.

Melbourne Guy said:
Not sure that all of these incorporate the same ideas, @anorlunda, but Wikipedia lists a lot of stories with pulsed drives of some sort:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_stories_featuring_nuclear_pulse_propulsion

I've read some of them, and none of them that I can recall describe or account for the acceleration you note.
Wow, thanks. I had no knowledge of that wiki page or of the many stories mentioned. I guess my question is well answered. I'll have to read some of them. I just loaded Steven Baxter's Ark into my Kindle.

Likes Melbourne Guy
Likes Melbourne Guy and anorlunda

What is a pulsing rocket drive?

A pulsing rocket drive is a type of propulsion system that uses short bursts of thrust instead of continuous burning of fuel. This allows for more efficient use of fuel and can potentially generate higher speeds.

How does a pulsing rocket drive work?

A pulsing rocket drive works by using a series of valves to control the flow of fuel and oxidizer into the combustion chamber. The valves open and close rapidly, creating short bursts of thrust.

What are the advantages of a pulsing rocket drive?

One of the main advantages of a pulsing rocket drive is its efficiency. By only using fuel when necessary, it can conserve fuel and potentially travel longer distances. It also has the potential for higher speeds due to the short bursts of thrust.

What are the potential applications of pulsing rocket drives?

Pulsing rocket drives have the potential to be used in various applications, such as space exploration and satellite propulsion. They could also be used in aircraft and missile propulsion.

Are there any drawbacks to using a pulsing rocket drive?

One potential drawback of a pulsing rocket drive is the complexity of its design and operation. The valves and control systems must be precisely timed and coordinated, which can be challenging and may increase the risk of malfunctions. Additionally, the short bursts of thrust may not be suitable for certain types of missions that require sustained propulsion.