Pulsing DC Current: Power Supply 15vDC

In summary, the speaker is an Environmental Engineer seeking assistance with pulsing DC current at a specific voltage for a project. They are looking for a circuit with a USB port and a graphical user interface for easy coding of different pulsing options. They also inquire about voltage restrictions and mention the option of using electronic switches or relays. Recommendations for USB controlled relays are suggested.
lrc03161991
Hello, I am an Environmental Engineer with very little knowledge of electrical engineering, yet I am working on a project and need a little help. I need to pulse DC current. I have a power supply that will be putting out about 15 vDC and I need to pulse this current at this same voltage. At minimum I need to pulse the current at one second intervals but it would be great if I could try a few other things like a sinusoidal wave or pulsing at different time intervals.

Is there anything out there that I can put in the circuit that will allow me to do this? Perhaps something with a usb port, or something of the sort, so I can code in some different pulsing option with a nice graphical user interface? If there is something out there will it have restrictions on how many volt i can run through it? I will be running at about 15 vDC but I may potentially want to go as high as 40 or as low 3 volts.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You have a choice of electronic switches (solid state relay) or relays. Just assume a USB interface for the moment.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009A524Z0/?tag=pfamazon01-20
(needs a power supply)

Just google "USB controlled relay" or "USB Controlled Solid State relay" and enjoy the feast.

The mechanical relay has its advantages with regard to ruggedness.

1. What is Pulsing DC Current?

Pulsing DC current is a type of electrical current that alternates between flowing in one direction and then stopping for a brief period of time before flowing again. This creates a pulsing effect that can be used for various purposes in electronic devices.

2. How is Pulsing DC Current different from regular DC current?

The main difference between Pulsing DC current and regular DC current is that pulsing current has a varying voltage and current level, while regular DC current has a constant voltage and current level. Pulsing DC current is often used for applications that require precise control of power supply, such as in medical devices or electronic equipment.

3. What is the purpose of using a Power Supply for Pulsing DC Current?

A power supply is used to convert the AC power from a wall outlet into DC power that can be used by electronic devices. In the case of Pulsing DC current, the power supply is also responsible for regulating the pulsing effect and ensuring that the current is delivered at the desired voltage and frequency.

4. What is the significance of a 15vDC Power Supply for Pulsing DC Current?

The voltage of a power supply determines the strength of the electrical current that is delivered to a device. In the case of Pulsing DC current, a 15vDC power supply means that the current will pulse between 0 volts and 15 volts. This level of voltage is often used for sensitive electronic equipment that requires a precise and controlled power supply.

5. How is Pulsing DC Current used in practical applications?

Pulsing DC current has a wide range of applications, including in medical devices, electronic equipment, and power tools. It is often used in devices that require precise control of power supply, as well as in devices that need to conserve energy, such as in electric vehicles. Pulsing DC current is also used in research and development for electronic components and devices.