Pump ESP for infrastructure water network with loop

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the task at hand is to verify the pump external static pressure for an infrastructure water supply network. The network is designed using the NF DTU 60.11 P1-1 norm and calculated in Watercad by dividing the total flow requirement evenly among all nodes. The suggested approach is to use actual pipe sizes and reach out to the designer for clarification on their methodology.
tj00343
Hello Everyone,

I've been tasked with verifying the pump external static pressure for an infrastructure water supply network. The network is a series of loops as shown in the image attached . According to the calculation notes done by the designer, the design of the network was done in watercad by taking the total flow requirement in the network and dividing it evenly to all nodes in the network in watercad.
infra network.PNG

My attempt at solving this problem:
I was thinking I would put the flow required at each building in water cad at the node closest to it and put the actual pipe sizes instead of the calculated ones and rerun the model in order to find which line has the highest pressure drop and the pump would be sized according to the pressure drop in this line. However, my problem is I don't know on what basis to calculate the flow for each building as I am not familiar with infrastructure networks and I assume using fixture units would result in a number that is quite over sized .Also, the design is based on a french norm DTU (NF DTU 60.11 P1-1) which I am not familiar with.
Any help or guidance would be appreciated

Attachments

• infra network.PNG
    infra network.PNG
    66 KB · Views: 545
Engineering news on Phys.org
.Hello,

Thank you for sharing your task with us. As a fellow scientist, I understand the importance of accurately verifying the pump external static pressure for an infrastructure water supply network.

Based on the information provided, it seems like your approach of using the actual pipe sizes instead of the calculated ones and re-running the model is a good start. However, I agree that calculating the flow for each building based on fixture units may not be the most accurate method.

I would suggest looking into the NF DTU 60.11 P1-1 norm to understand the design basis and requirements for the network. This will also give you a better understanding of how the designer arrived at their calculations in Watercad.

Additionally, you can also consider reaching out to the designer for clarification on their methodology and any specific considerations they may have used in their design. This can help you in making more accurate calculations and verifying the pump external static pressure.

I hope this helps and wish you all the best in your task. Keep up the good work in ensuring the reliability and efficiency of the infrastructure water supply network.

1. What is a pump ESP?

A pump ESP, or pump efficiency, is a measurement of how effectively a pump is able to convert energy into fluid flow. It is commonly used in the water industry to assess the performance of pumps and determine the most efficient options for a water network.

2. How does a pump ESP affect infrastructure water networks?

The pump ESP directly impacts the energy consumption and operating costs of a water network. A higher pump ESP means more efficient pumping, resulting in lower energy usage and cost. It can also affect the reliability and maintenance needs of the infrastructure.

3. What role does a pump ESP play in designing a looped water network?

When designing a looped water network, the pump ESP is crucial in determining the optimal pump size and placement for the most efficient water flow. It also helps in identifying potential issues, such as excessive pressure or flow, which can lead to pipe damage or leaks.

4. How can pump ESP be improved in a water network?

To improve pump ESP in a water network, it is essential to regularly monitor and maintain pumps to ensure they are operating at their optimal efficiency. Upgrading to newer, more efficient pumps can also significantly improve pump ESP. Proper system design and management can also contribute to improved pump ESP.

5. Are there any challenges in using pump ESP for infrastructure water networks?

One of the main challenges in using pump ESP for infrastructure water networks is accurately measuring and calculating the pump efficiency. This requires a thorough understanding of the system and its components, as well as proper instrumentation and data collection. Other challenges may include cost constraints and technical limitations.