Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pump: Filler

1. Dec 4, 2014 #1

wnh

Im new to this forum and im seeking some help. I have recently doing a project for ice cream. In order to choose a suitable filler for filling process, i need to calculate the power requirement and capacity for the pump filler. I m really hope that you can show me the step for this calculation since it involves piston pump/hydraulic pump calculation instead of centrifugal pump calculation.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2014 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I can't help with any calculations of that sort, but I do have to ask you something. Is this design already mandated to be a piston pump? The reason that I ask is that it seems to me that in this application a screw-type extruder would be far more efficient.

4. Dec 4, 2014 #3

wnh

Not necessary but it seem that to discharge the ice cream i need a compressor,for higher viscosity, positive displacement one.

5. Dec 4, 2014 #4

Danger

Gold Member

Seriously, then... look into an auger (screw). It's most assuredly positive displacement, and requires only a rotary input with no cranks or pumps or whatever else. Here's a quick overview. The article deals with one for plastic, but exactly the same thing will work excellently on ice cream. Unlike the one for plastic, yours will have no need for a heater.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastics_extrusion

6. Dec 4, 2014 #5

wnh

ok. thanks.i ll try to figure it out first..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook